Posted By: bunar Ping Pong - 26/10/03 10:55 AM
i have a question reffering pong action,

on quakenet it says:
(11:52) >> To connect, type /QUOTE PONG 1737985765

and i read somewhere that it must be specific pong code,
so if you are admin or ircop, how can you know what
specific code it must be ?
Posted By: sparta Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 10:57 AM
I guess that comes with the source of the irc.. so it is written in som file when u compiled the server.. or maybe just sent to you aotomatic.. not shure
Posted By: naki Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 11:14 AM
I think what that means is the $ctime value. Sometimes when you connect to a server you lag and are unable to send a pong to the server when it sends you a ping. Seeing how most servers send connecting users a ping before it sends the motd. The message probably tells you to do that so you can connect to the server if the client was unable to respond to the connection ping.
Posted By: bunar Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 12:02 PM
is there any way through scriptimg to make a small script that will automatically respond with pong when it recives that message?
Posted By: sparta Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 12:33 PM
How do you get that message? is it a notice? need to know if i should be able to make a script.. i never get that so i dont know smile
Posted By: bunar Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 01:32 PM
it could be server notice but i am not 100% shure
Posted By: Collective Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 01:34 PM
Post the /debug line with the text in.
Posted By: bunar Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 01:45 PM
i would but the problem is that i dont get that msg anymore on connect frown
Posted By: Skip Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 02:55 PM
If your using mIRC you shouldn't need to know, that notice is sent in parrallel to a PING request from the server, mIRC automatically replies with a matching PONG request. You would only be pinging out if you or the server are extremely lagged or something is broken (a psybnc maybe).

The ping/pong on startup exists to prevent ip (and consequently host) spoofing from occuring and also stop some of the more stupid drones, if the ping didn't exist the entire client registration process to the server would be one-way, allowing kiddies to forge packets from any ip address. For this reason the ping is made very hard to predict.

Hope that helps. smile
Posted By: sparta Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 03:18 PM
It's a server notice.. and only appears when the server have allot of work.. "many users", so i dont think it will happen to often, and it's not hard to just copy abnd paste the line they asking for.. but if you still need a script for it, then i make one, it's siple but nothin i belive you need cos it will only happen like 1 time out of 100 smile
Posted By: bunar Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 03:26 PM
well if you have time for that i would be very gratefull if you could make it please .
Posted By: sparta Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 03:33 PM
Code:
on *:SNOTICE:*: {
  if (/QUOTE isin $1-) { quote PONG 1737985765 }
}

the code goes in to remote "ALT + R"
Posted By: bunar Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 03:53 PM
hmm, good try, but not always is the same pong message, thatz why i said IF it can be detected by script
like on snotice something %temppong = %thatnumber

and then

if (/QUOTE isin $1-) { quote PONG %thatnumber }
}

can you do it somehow?
Posted By: lonesome Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 03:54 PM
just a thought....
does the number change randomly all the time?
if it does, it's better to get the whole line from $?-
Haven't received the message b4, so I'm not sure if it should be $4- or $5- .. You get the idea... grin

--Edit--

Looking at his first post, i would try using this code:

Code:
if (/QUOTE isin $1-) { $4- }
} 
Posted By: bunar Re: Ping Pong - 26/10/03 04:40 PM
yeh, number changes each time, but thanx for this, i will try it (but dunno how will i know is that correct tho)
Posted By: zack Re: Ping Pong - 27/10/03 02:12 PM
I had problems with my socket bot I created on Undernet because of this reason, so I just created a script that would reply the exact PONG command it gave... *shrug*
© mIRC Discussion Forums