mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Chessaaj IP adress - 10/09/03 01:48 PM
Hi,

I don't know much about computering, so I have a question for you.
The computers at my school have 'secret' IP adresses.
How can I find it out anyway? I mean it must be somewhere in the computerfiles...
Thanks in advance for the one who can help me out here...
Posted By: pheonix Re: IP adress - 10/09/03 01:54 PM
why would you need it?
Posted By: codemastr Re: IP adress - 10/09/03 06:52 PM
Most likely, no the computer does NOT know the IP address. Your school most likely has a LAn setup in which case the computers have local IPs (usually 192.168.N.N), these addresses are meaningless outside of the LAN. But in any case, as pheonix said, why would you want this information anyway?
Posted By: NightCrawler8283 Re: IP adress - 10/09/03 07:32 PM
go on yahoo and search dns lookup.. find a site that will show u the ip address.... if ur using win NT which i know most schools use for networks.. u can use the DOS prompt to find it. but the last post is correct... if ur trying to find the ip for a specific machine.. 192.* is useless unless u route through the main ip of the school wink
Posted By: KingTomato Re: IP adress - 11/09/03 03:02 AM
Im with Pheonix--why do you need it. All I can see you needing it for is either bypassing security, or to gain access without being local to the network. Please do prove me wrong if I am, but why would you need the ip for something legitimate?
Posted By: Chessaaj Re: IP adress - 11/09/03 06:17 AM
If I don't have the IP adress I can't login at the IRC server. (iuturna.sorcery)
Posted By: Raccoon Re: IP adress - 11/09/03 07:04 AM
http://www.whatismyip.com/
will give you your IP address.

http://www.geektools.com/
also has a bunch of nifty tools, like public traceroute and nslookup sites.

- Raccoon
Posted By: CyBot Re: IP adress - 11/09/03 07:05 AM
IRC = Banned @ most schools.
Posted By: LocutusofBorg Re: IP adress - 11/09/03 10:05 AM
There's a very simple answer: goto the one who admins the network and ask him why. He will tell you how to connect if you are allowed to, and he will tell you so if you are not allowed to.
© mIRC Discussion Forums