mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Doomstars Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 09/09/03 05:11 AM
There should really be a way to see what it will look like without having to actually post. But I don't know if there's anything that can be done, since it is probably out of the moderator's hands anyways. I don't know the options this UBB has.

My other comment is this. Under where it says Reged and Posts, I think O.S., RAM, Processor, and mIRC Version should be added. That way, when I post in bug reports and such, they know what operating system, how much RAM is on my computer, my process and speed, and mIRC Version I'm speaking from.
A preview option for a sig would be nice. Your other suggestion however I don't like. It's no one's business but my own what system I have. And if I do report bugs, the poster should just manually add this info. In all other posts, the information is irrelevant.
Posted By: Doomstars Re: Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 09/09/03 06:16 AM
It would be optional for my second suggestion. And only show up in bug reports then.
Posted By: Iori Re: Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 09/09/03 08:06 AM
That has both good and bad points.
Good for people who have problems, good for people helping them because you can see the users setup, and can advise accordingly.
Bad because inevitably UserX will brag about how much better his system is, yada yada...

Overall I don't really like... smile
Posted By: Pasmal Re: Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 09/09/03 08:07 AM
You'd also have problems when people update their system, add new software, new mIRC, etc... and don't update their profile.
Posted By: Doomstars Re: Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 09/09/03 08:43 AM
Well, maybe an option for operating system. Where the user can turn it on, and mIRC will just put that on the side. This can be done since most browsers I believe send that info if I'm not mistaken.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 09/09/03 11:08 AM
The big problem is that the admins refuse point-blank to make the signature function any longer. I think the max currently is around 100 characters. In a way it's good but for ideas like this it is bad.

One suggestion that will basically overcome this is that you type in Notepad what you want to use each time you use a particular forum and then just cut/paste it when needed.
I didn't think we could suggest new features in this forum, bu since I am here, I think an ignore users feature would be good.
Posted By: codemastr Re: Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 09/09/03 08:04 PM
Having talked to Tjerk to report problems in the board, he pretty much told me, if you have a suggestion, contact the people who made the forum software, not mIRC. And, now that I have contacted them numerous times I can say they don't seem to really care. I reported 4 pretty serious bugs in the forum, I never heard back from them.
Ahh ok, thank you for that information.
A lot of people these days use more than one computer and may well not be posting using the same system as the one with the problem. The only foolproof way is for the poster to actually tell us their OS in any given post where it's relevant.
Posted By: KingTomato Re: Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 10/09/03 02:12 AM
I can also sere the OS scheme being a minro security threat. If you have your OS posted on the forums, then a user from the forums visits the IRC you frequent (located in profile) they can do an nslookup to your mask and easily reolve ip. From there, its a matter of "match your favorite exploit with your os".

Posted By: Raccoon Re: Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 10/09/03 02:42 AM
As I've posted in the past, nobody tries confirming OS/ Daemon versions anymore before exploiting a system. I receive scans and probes for every exploit on the planet, from ISS exploits to BitchX exploits.. it doesn't matter anymore.

If someone wants you, they will try every push-button exploit they know.

- Raccoon
"Oh dear, he's not replying to VERSION... whatever shall I attack him with?!"
Posted By: KingTomato Re: Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 10/09/03 02:51 AM
Im referring to a script kiddie level, where people do it for kicks, and not because they have the skill. Most beginners goto security sites, see the program that is a "proof of concept" (how i love that lae excuse for an exploit program) code, and they same "hmm.. they have xp, i have xp program--lets try it"
Posted By: Doomstars Re: Signatures in Posts and Other Comment - 10/09/03 08:08 AM
Not unless it updates every post via the Internet browser.
© mIRC Discussion Forums