mIRC Homepage
Posted By: lcrzoex why cnet_mirc719_exe.exe? - 26/07/11 03:52 AM
Two days ago I download mIRC from http://www.mirc.com/get.php and I get mirc719.exe

Today its named cnet_mirc719_exe.exe. wtf? virus? smile

Posted By: argv0 Re: why cnet_mirc719_exe.exe? - 26/07/11 04:36 AM
Seems like cnet decided to start prefixing their downloads... I assume they have a license agreement which allows them to name the exe file download whatever they want

Looks more or less fine to me. You can verify by comparing the md5 hashes (you can get the mirc719.exe file from mirror sites).

Highly unlikely possibility: your DNS was jacked and a really good cnet spoof site is giving you a faked mIRC installer. Again, *very* unlikely.
Posted By: Khaled Re: why cnet_mirc719_exe.exe? - 26/07/11 09:52 AM
Thanks for letting us know. This must be a recent change since CNET has in the past always distributed the original mIRC installer. I did not receive any communication from CNET regarding this change, so I am just as surprised as you are. I have emailed CNET to find out more and, for the time being, I have removed the link to CNET from the mIRC download page.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: why cnet_mirc719_exe.exe? - 25/08/11 07:43 AM
What about tucows dot com? Someone - not sure if it's Khaled or another user - has uploaded mIRC 6.16 back in August of 2004.

I have skimmed through the documentation and terms of use on tucown and can not find mention of a 'wrapper' that they add to the software.

Maybe someone else knows something about tucows that I do not, and it is not as good of an option as I figure.
Posted By: CtrlAltDel Re: why cnet_mirc719_exe.exe? - 25/08/11 02:17 PM
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

I have skimmed through the documentation and terms of use on tucown and can not find mention of a 'wrapper' that they add to the software.

Here is the explanation.
© mIRC Discussion Forums