mIRC Homepage
I am looking for mIRC v6.34. Where can I download it?

I found it on www.oldversion.com, but it seems to include a trojan, as shown here:

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/repo...9d44-1301851149

Is this a false positive? Or where can I download v6.34 without malware?

Cheers.
Okay, I have just realised that I asked this same question here a few years ago, and downloaded it from http://www.mirc.net/mirc.php.

But I still get the same virus warnings from VirusTotal. I guess that this is a false positive then?

But how come the latest release only comes up with one [false] positive?
These are clearly false positives. I've downloaded mIRC 6.34 from multiple sites (FileHippo, OldApps, and Oldversion).

I have compared the MD5 checksum's and they all match.

Strange, that the antivirus software I've never heard of detected it (minus McAfee).

The current version, 7.19, it has "Open Candy" and that's a false positive - Read Here
The latest version of mIRC, v7.19, does not include OpenCandy or any other additions. If you are seeing a trojan/virus warning, this probably indicates that your anti-virus software is incorrectly thinking that the installer has a trojan/virus when it does not. This is called a false-positive and the only way to resolve the issue would be to contact your anti-virus software vendor to report the issue.

If you suspect that your anti-virus software is not working correctly, you can visit a site like Virus Total which checks an uploaded file with all of the major anti-virus applications. If only one or two, out of around forty, report a trojan/virus, that usually indicates a false-positive.

In addition, you should not use mIRC v6.34. mIRC v6.35 was specifically released to fix a security issue in mIRC v6.34 and earlier versions, as indicated on the Latest News page. It is rarely a good idea to use any version of mIRC other than the latest version as it always includes the latest security and bug fixes. If you use an older version of mIRC, you are leaving yourself open to exploits.
Originally Posted By: Khaled
It is rarely a good idea to use any version of mIRC other than the latest version as it always includes the latest security and bug fixes. If you use an older version of mIRC, you are leaving yourself open to exploits.
Intriguingly there are many users who refuse to upgrade on account of their existing scripts being incompatible and blaming the latest build being unstable and all that...:/ And they keep saying they're awaiting the stable release...lol
I realize that, unfortunately this issue applies to all applications that allow users to create addons. For example, when you upgrade to a new version of Firefox, it will examine your addons and will disable those that are not designed to run with it. New versions of Firefox usually fix security issues - even if all of your addons stopped working, it would be very risky not to upgrade, otherwise you would be opening yourself up to exploits. So you would upgrade to the new version and wait for your old addons to be updated. If they were no longer being updated, you would have to find alternatives. Under no circumstances would it make sense to continue using an old, exploitable version of Firefox (or any other browser). The same applies to mIRC.
General comment, not meant for any one person in particular:

If everyone waited for a program that was 100% stable (ie: no errors, no bugs), then they would be waiting forever, as it is impossible to have a program like that. That is why there are upgrades.. To get rid of as many of the errors/bugs as possible, as soon as possible.

The thing is, and I've run into this a lot, most users blame instability on mIRC instead of their outdated scripts and DLLs. They get so attached to them, they would rather risk using the old version than lose the script. If a change in a new version doesn't benefit them personally functionality wise, they couldn't care less about updating, and even then they probably still won't update if their current script(s) don't work with it.
Very true. Of course, that doesn't mean that we can't keep bugging them to update. wink

Unfortunately, many people (especially those who are not very tech savvy) don't bother to stay updated. This may be due to laziness, not checking to see if there are updates, or not wanting the update for some reason such as broken addons or unwanted features. Trying to get people to update is very difficult and often a waste of time. These are often the same people who will then complain when something happens because they are using outdated software. For many, it takes a major thing affecting them directly (such as being hacked) to get them to take updating seriously. By then, it may be too late and they may have lost something important.

And, of course, 6.35 is being recommended if people cannot use 7.x due to code pages. But as far as I know, there are no known exploits or other security issues with 6.35 that have been fixed in 7.x. So it's pretty much "safe" to use for anyone unwilling to put in the effort to start using UTF8. Anything older does have security issues and should definitely not be used for any reason.
The funny thing about this thread is that 6.34 actually has a confirmed security vulnerability, and should not be used:

http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/31552

As far as I'm concerned, that's case closed and Q.E.D. on why you should not be using random old versions.
Agreed. I wasn't trying to say that it was okay. smile
© mIRC Discussion Forums