mIRC Homepage
Posted By: goobs MIRC.32 VIRUS?? - 08/11/07 08:30 PM
I'm new to the message boards. I walked away from chat 2 nights ago, and fell asleep. When I came back I had a virus warning (severe)staring at me. When I ran Norton, it came back as some kind of a MIRC.32 virus that couldn't be fixed - OK. I re-formatted the entire hard drive, came back, loaded Mirc at havenofbliss/christiancommand I believe it is - ran Norton - guess what??? Same problem although this time it did not say the threat was severe. I'm re-formatting again. I'll be back in a few hours. I'll watch for some kind of a response. I don't know what to do!! Please help.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: MIRC.32 VIRUS?? - 08/11/07 08:55 PM
I'm guessing there's more to the message, probably something of the lines of "riskware" or "not a virus" mentioned?

Every now and then antivirus companies update their virus definitions and (seemingly at random) decide to ring alarm bells that mIRC is a virus. Usually they mention in the message that mIRC isn't actually a virus but that they consider it riskware or a possible indication of a virus. The reason being that in the past there have been trojans that have used mIRC.exe as part of their payload to send information about the infected PC to an IRC channel. Obviously if you've intentionally installed mIRC then this isn't something to worry about and you can tell Norton to ignore it.
Posted By: RusselB Re: MIRC.32 VIRUS?? - 08/11/07 11:05 PM
In addition to what Starbucks said, we do not recommend that you download mIRC from any location other than here as other locations may have infected files.
Posted By: goobs Re: MIRC.32 VIRUS?? - 09/11/07 12:58 AM
Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia
I'm guessing there's more to the message, probably something of the lines of "riskware" or "not a virus" mentioned?

Every now and then antivirus companies update their virus definitions and (seemingly at random) decide to ring alarm bells that mIRC is a virus. Usually they mention in the message that mIRC isn't actually a virus but that they consider it riskware or a possible indication of a virus. The reason being that in the past there have been trojans that have used mIRC.exe as part of their payload to send information about the infected PC to an IRC channel. Obviously if you've intentionally installed mIRC then this isn't something to worry about and you can tell Norton to ignore it.

Ok. When I ran Norton it said the threat was severe but I'm not an expert on "any" of this stuff, quite frankly. It's possible something like that was said somewhere. Anyway thanks for the info, I appreciate it - great stuff to know / keep in mind! - and for the direct link to the right download spot, too :-) Anj
Posted By: goobs Re: MIRC.32 VIRUS?? - 09/11/07 07:53 AM
Yay I got everything running smoothly! :-) Now I just have one more question. Can I put this download on my computer or is it risky? http://www.jcministries.i12.com/cc/cc4mirc.htm - the top one that says I can get NIV and NASB along with KJV- "That's" what I want. Like real bad. Can one of you wise people tell me if I can have that from this web site? Thanks much :-)Anj
Posted By: Mentality Re: MIRC.32 VIRUS?? - 09/11/07 09:43 AM
That script says it needs to work with mIRC 5.6. mIRC 5.6 was released over 8 years ago, you shouldn't be using it anymore. It's perhaps possible to use the script on 6.31, but if not, I would question using the script.
© mIRC Discussion Forums