Posted By: mitchell10I can ircops read pms - 11/01/07 03:36 AM
?? ima wandring
Posted By: Jigsy Re: can ircops read pms - 11/01/07 03:56 AM
No.
Posted By: mitchell10I Re: can ircops read pms - 11/01/07 04:14 AM
ok thanks shocked
Posted By: mitchell10I Re: can ircops read pms - 11/01/07 07:54 PM
O>O thay can m_spy
m_spy allows you to see users' private and channel messages (both PRIVMSGs and NOTICEs) sent from anywhere on the IRC network in real time. You can redirect their messages to a channel, or they can be sent to you privately. This module provides three commands: /spy to specify whose messages you want to see, /spychan to specify which channel you want to see the messages of, and /spystats to receive statistical information about private and channel spy entries.
Note: Spying on people is highly unethical, and in many countries, illegal! Use this module at your own risk! shocked it "works"
Posted By: Sat Re: can ircops read pms - 11/01/07 08:13 PM
Originally Posted By: mitchell10I
Note: Spying on people is highly unethical, and in many countries, illegal!

You hit the nail on the head there. Let me guess, that module is for unrealircd?
Posted By: mitchell10I Re: can ircops read pms - 11/01/07 08:16 PM
yep and if the client has it ._. thay can use it
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: can ircops read pms - 12/01/07 10:12 AM
It wouldn't be impossible with other open source IRCd's. I guess if you use the internet for sharing private information without using encryption then you really cant cry. Using a spy module is a disgrace of course though.
Its asking a person on the street to carry a letter for you somewhere versus using a signed packege delivery service.
Posted By: Sat Re: can ircops read pms - 12/01/07 11:12 AM
True enough.
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: can ircops read pms - 12/01/07 04:52 PM
It's just as possible with closed source IRCds. Maybe harder to do at the IRCd software itself (maybe) but there are plenty of other layers where server admins can monitor traffic if they really want to.

Like you said, encryption is the only way that's going to allow truly secure communication. Unfortunately IRC doesn't provide the necessary encryption options.
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: can ircops read pms - 12/01/07 05:46 PM
True but on a linked network 2 peoples PRIVMSG's on server X shouldn't* be shared with other servers so an admin on server Y cant sniff it. Admin on server X can though.

* as in i dont know what each ircd does with its PM's. Some might very well do.
© mIRC Discussion Forums