mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Krejt Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 03/12/06 08:21 PM
Preparing for an upgrade of this messageboard I have to disable some things like the foreign languages, and reset some features of the board. I'll close down the messageboard for a few hours starting tomorrow evening (24 hours from now), making backups, upgrading, converting the database etc. You should expect a downtime of about 24 hours. After the upgrade all things should work perfectly fine again, but you should expect changing colors, layout and features for the days after. See you later, thanks for your patience,

Tjerk.
Posted By: Krejt Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 01:28 AM
I think the upgrade of the messageboard was quite succesfull. Thanks for your patience during the hours of downtime. There still are some things to tweak, tune and improve but I'll come to that during the next few days.

Some icons are missing etc. I'll fix those later. Apart from that don't hesitate to point me to mistakes and errors?

Tjerk.
Are there going to be different styles/themes available? I used the blue theme on the old forum.

Also, will there be the "new post" icons in this version of the forum?

-genius_at_work
Posted By: RusselB Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 06:21 AM
Quote:
Are there going to be different styles/themes available?
I hope so, because I, for one, find the current colour combinations hard on my eyes.
Posted By: Krejt Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 08:11 AM
yup, me too

edit: A little better now?
Posted By: Krejt Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 08:13 AM
what do you mean by 'new post' icons?
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 10:06 AM
I keep clicking on mIRC Homepage, will take some time getting used to this new style as well smile
I love the make textarea bigger option. I really miss seeing (N new) behind all the forum groups.
Posted By: hixxy Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 10:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Krejt
what do you mean by 'new post' icons?

There's no icon to indicate an unread post. Unread & read ones look the same.

*is pleased with the thread bumping though laugh *

And the AJAX post previewing is pretty decent.
Posted By: Krejt Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 10:37 AM
By popular request I have enabled the "Sort Topics by Time of Last Reply" (or "Dateslip") option. This will bump active discussions to the top of the forum pages. I don't know yet if I like this feature but we can give it a try smile

Posted By: hixxy Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 10:39 AM
By popular request I have enabled the "Sort Topics by Time of Last Reply" (or "Dateslip") option. This will bump active discussions to the top of the forum pages. I don't know yet if I like this feature but we can give it a try smile

I love it smile

I was mistaken in my last post.. new threads & posts do change the colour of the icon, but for some reason new posts were not highlighted when I first logged in.
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 11:04 AM
Hey you removed mIRC homepage from the document trail laugh Thank you.
Posted By: Krejt Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 11:12 AM
yup,.... more suggestions?
Posted By: Om3n Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 11:32 AM
Is there a 'goto first unread post' feature availible with ubb? (in vb this adds a down arrow icon to the left of the thread topic)
Posted By: Krejt Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 11:52 AM
On the forum page, click on the link in the 'Posted' column to go to the first unread reply. wink
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 12:07 PM
One annoyance that I've had for ages is the default search range of newer then 1 week. It gets just a tad annoying changing it to newer then 5 years every time. The old (N new) in the "Last post" column was brilliant however I'm not sure if its a feature of the old version not included in this one. Last but not least some more themes, as stated by others.

Something you might want to look into is that the main site menu on the left changes colour while on the forums. Strangely i personally prefer the site navigation colours while on the forum smile

Thats about it i think, thanks for upgrading.
Posted By: Krejt Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Mpdreamz
One annoyance that I've had for ages is the default search range of newer then 1 week.
I set it to one year. better?

The old (N new) in the "Last post" column was brilliant however I'm not sure if its a feature of the old version not included in this one.
Sorry that won't return before UBBT version 7.2, or something.

Last but not least some more themes, as stated by others.
I'll first make a good default (mIRC) one based on the standard theme, and then add more themes, like blue, ice, and whatever. For the moment I'n not too enthusiast about the themes that are available cry

Something you might want to look into is that the main site menu on the left changes colour while on the forums. Strangely i personally prefer the site navigation colours while on the forum smile
Hmm... I'll look into that. Thanks!
Posted By: hixxy Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 12:41 PM
I'm not sure if ubbthreads will have this, but IPB has a feature called "guided mode" where when you click on one of the bbcode buttons when making a post, a box pops up asking for the text you want to make bold/italic/etc, rather than having to highlight the text and then click the button.

*prefers that way*
Posted By: Jigsy Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 01:01 PM
Are there any plans to readd the number of unread posts?
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 01:13 PM
I set it to one year. better?

Loads smile

Sorry that won't return before UBBT version 7.2, or something.

Dangit, oh well progress takes victims smile

I'll first make a good default (mIRC) one based on the standard theme, and then add more themes, like blue, ice, and whatever. For the moment I'n not too enthusiast about the themes that are available cry

Why not make it a competition ? best ones to make it into the boards ?

Just reading trough the UUBT features the following popped to mind:

Activetext:Could you define mIRC,whatsnew.txt,versions.txt,DCX & MDX ? So that they are turned into links automaticly. i'd say these are links typed out rather frequently by all the helpers on this board.

RSS feed of the Anouncement catagory would be nice to especially for all the mIRC related websites.
Posted By: Krejt Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 01:26 PM
Why not make it a competition ? best ones to make it into the boards?
Hmm... problem is that you all don't have UBBT to test themes on!

Activetext:Could you define mIRC,whatsnew.txt,versions.txt,DCX & MDX?
I dont want to use this too much since it might interfere in discussions. So I certainly won't activate 'mIRC', and I don't know about terms like DCX & MDX....

RSS feed of the Anouncement catagory would be nice to especially for all the mIRC related websites.
Yup, later :-)
Posted By: Sais Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 02:06 PM
Or at least leave the cursor in a reasonable position.

I suppose inserting the codes where the cursor is, rather than at the end is a good start, but throwing the cursor right to the end of the text is going to get annoying

The other thing I've noticed is that, unlike the old set up, the main page doesn't highlight the header for a rolled-up section that has new posts (or not in a way that I notice - perhaps I just need to get used to it)

[edit]...and what happened to the "index" link on the section pages (the one that used to take you back to the main index page)? I only just noticed that it's there in the 'read messages' view, but no longer in the 'viewing forum' list of topics. Means a lot more mouse movement...[/edit]
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 04:47 PM
Hmm... problem is that you all don't have UBBT to test themes on!

Ahh yes i missed you have to pay a substantial amount of money to run it cry :P .

I do miss the who's online feature i used to check on there see if i could expect a reply quickly or not.
Posted By: sparta Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 04:55 PM
I voted in here, but i wouldent say i hate the new look, but i think it's a bit messy, the old one was easyer to brows in, and the new way when you pasting a script, it was bether in the old version of the forum. but maybe it's just a time question, when im used to the new look maybe i think it's bether then the old one wink cool
Posted By: Om3n Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 05:34 PM
Ah, ok it does it auctomatically smile
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Finished Upgrade of this Messageboard - 05/12/06 10:37 PM
Originally Posted By: sparta
I voted in here, but i wouldent say i hate the new look, but i think it's a bit messy, the old one was easyer to brows in, and the new way when you pasting a script, it was bether in the old version of the forum. but maybe it's just a time question, when im used to the new look maybe i think it's bether then the old one wink cool

The vote in this thread isn't for how you like the new look. It is for whether or not you like the sorting by last post date rather than by original post date (aka dateslip).
Krejt, of the two options, Id rather have an icon/colorization that stands out vs thread bumping. The whole board just looks sooo neutral (the colors will take getting used to, but I dont mind them as others do) now that even with the thread bumping, it's still hard to see what was added to. The bumping just moves anything VIEWED (so it seems to me anyhow) to the top but not just what was REPLIED.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 09/12/06 02:38 AM
Viewed doesn't move anything... at least for me. Only replies.

There are a variety of different themes now... not sure if they are all finished, or just works in progress, though.
Posted By: Krejt Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 21/12/06 11:33 AM
Do you like the new mIRC-Classic style better??
I'm trying to mimick the old stylesheet with it.
(Mind you, it is still under construction...)

Tjerk.
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 21/12/06 12:24 PM
Loads smile it could do with new graphics though smile If you want i can do em and post a link here ?
Posted By: Krejt Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 21/12/06 01:45 PM
..it could do with new graphics though
Thats a nice offer, but I try to keep my customisations to a minimum so I'd rather not fiddle with the images etc. ok?
Posted By: Mpdreamz Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 21/12/06 03:32 PM
lol your saying it like i have to ok it as well smile
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 21/12/06 11:33 PM
Do you like the new mIRC-Classic style better??
I'm trying to mimick the old stylesheet with it.
(Mind you, it is still under construction...)

Tjerk.

Personally, I like the normal mIRC theme better, even if it isn't quite the same as the previous board. A couple things I find bad about the classic theme is the column colors on the individual forum index pages. The post icon column (2nd from left) looks weird with a different shade.

Regardless of themes, I still would like to see a way to fix the code/quote blocks breaking the width of the poster nick cells. I am wondering if the problem is the width setting in the code block rather than the other width settings. I wouldn't be surprised if THAT width is breaking the others.

One other issue with the themes and the code blocks... have you noticed that if you scroll horizontally more than a few characters, that the colored header isn't as wide as the scrollbar takes you? It looks really weird.

As for changing images, I understand not wanting to change much, but images should be very easy to change (at least they are in phpBB). I'd at least like to see better smileys (like the originals). These are a little too "cute" for my tastes.
Posted By: Jigsy Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 22/12/06 09:25 PM
Would it be possible to remove the search throttle?

It's damn right annoying. frown
Posted By: Sais Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 31/12/06 12:32 AM
I just noticed that the "this thread has been moved" icon (a black arrow in a yellow circle) is always yellow whether the thread has been read or not - makes me think that it's unread. Any chance of having it on a grey background (to match the folder icon) once it's marked as read?
Posted By: ClickHeRe Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 31/12/06 12:59 PM
As I said in another post, could the search be fixed to accept 3 letter terms like mdx/dcx like the old version did ?

Thanks
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Preparing Upgrade of this Messageboard - 01/01/07 12:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Sais
I just noticed that the "this thread has been moved" icon (a black arrow in a yellow circle) is always yellow whether the thread has been read or not - makes me think that it's unread. Any chance of having it on a grey background (to match the folder icon) once it's marked as read?

From my use of phpBB, that forum is not programmed for 2 different icons for the moved thread. I assume this is probably the same. It would take a lot of extra work to change that, I think.
© mIRC Discussion Forums