mIRC Homepage
Posted By: whickerman can anyone tell me where can I find - 10/03/03 05:21 PM
movies to download.I'm new to mIRC and am having a little trouble finding my way around.
Posted By: Roadkillz Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 10/03/03 08:34 PM
I'm new to and looking solet me know too
Posted By: vcv Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 10/03/03 09:18 PM
IRC doesn't have movies to download.

There IS channels that will have bots that you can download movies off of, but it is ILLEGAL.

I recommend you not ask where to get warez on a public forum.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 10/03/03 09:29 PM
Go to a shop and buy them. grin
Posted By: The_Game Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 10/03/03 09:35 PM
To add along to what vcv stated, there are programs out there that is meant for downloading. mIRC isn't one of them. Yes, filesharing such as downloading anything without purchasing i.e. music, videos or whatnot is illegal, and well its gonna keep happening unless by some freak miracle that all peer 2 peer programs must require a fee...kinda how like napster is now. Look into other programs like kazaa and thats all im gonna tell you.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 11/03/03 03:41 AM
Since what you are asking for is:
1. illegal
2. asking ppl to spam/advertise their channels (which we dont allow)
3. a great way to get trojans/virii which we spend a lot of time helping ppl to get rid of
4. not allowed on some networks and trying will get you banned from them

we cant/wont help you with this.
Posted By: codemastr Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 11/03/03 11:03 PM
www.bestbuy.com
www.circuitcity.com
www.walmart.com
www.kmart.com
www.amazon.com
etc
Posted By: SaX0n Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 12/03/03 01:04 AM
I thought you were going to end your sentence with "the new version of mIRC".. nobody knows or ever will know the answer to that. I doubt there will be one. (moderator note: yes there will be, its just never announced in advance)

However, you ended your sentence with a question about ILLEGAL! downloads. Nobody will help you with that here, and mIRC is NOT the new napster or the answer to Kazzaa. In fact, IRC servers like DALnet learned that lesson only too well and changed their policy accordingly now everyone enjoys CHAT on all the previously afflicted servers! God bless DAL, an take heed others..
Posted By: whickerman Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 12/03/03 09:02 AM
I'll take that as a no then should I ?
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 12/03/03 01:19 PM
mORC?
Posted By: SaX0n Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 12/03/03 04:29 PM
my 'I' comes out as 'O' when i hold SHIFT sometimes. Can't edit the post after 10 minutes here. crazy
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 12/03/03 06:14 PM
Ahhhh fair enough. grin
Posted By: Doomstars Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 13/03/03 07:19 AM
My opinion. I think it's wrong to download movies off the Internet. However, I think it's perfectly okay to download episodes of t.v. shows, provided the shows were not recorded off a premium channel and are not out on video yet. Just my opinion, nothing more.
Posted By: vcv Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 13/03/03 07:28 AM
Initially I wanted to disagree.. but thinking about it.. it is no different than taping a show with your VCR so you can watch it another time. So anyone who says it is wrong, is more than likely a hypocrite, provided they've ever taped a T.V. show (which I'm sure most people have) :tongue:
Posted By: The_Game Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 13/03/03 07:52 AM
*hides his extensive pay-per-view recordings archive, copied cd's for the car, taped songs from the radio...*

Never said I didn't record movies or TV episodes...also do you honestly think that "Thundercats" (cartoon) is on vhs? or dvd? I haven't seen em....and yet another reason for using Kazaa. Basically until someone kicks down my door and slaps my wrist for doing so I say no matter how you put it...Downloading be it legal or not will always continue one way or another. But why bother getting into a debate over it. I'm sure everyone here has downloaded something legal/illegal at least once...
Posted By: Poppy Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 13/03/03 02:26 PM
Maybe not wrong - but quite possibly dangerous. When did you ever get a virus from taping a TV show? :tongue:
Posted By: SaX0n Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 13/03/03 03:23 PM
The types of file you would download to play any kind of media (.mpeg,.mp3) would not likely give you a virus.
Posted By: Poppy Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 13/03/03 03:40 PM
I beg to differ.
Posted By: vcv Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 13/03/03 07:52 PM
If the extension if an actual movie file, you will not get infected. Anyone who is computer literate should be able to tell the difference between a REAL movie file (.mpeg, .mov, .avi, .mpg, .asf, .wmv, etc) and a FAKE movie file (.vbs, .exe, etc). All it takes is some common sense.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 14/03/03 03:03 AM
You can put a virus in any filetype. That is a well-known but commonly overlooked fact.
Posted By: vcv Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 14/03/03 03:44 AM
No, you can not.

Do not spread lies.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 14/03/03 06:49 AM
Yes you can. I know of several people, for example, that have been infected by a trojan in JPG files. Work that out.

And if you want to call me a liar come to Sydney and say it my face. :tongue:
Posted By: Collective Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 14/03/03 07:03 AM
There are 2 possibilites I can think of:

1. I read a page on this once, can't remember the exact wording, but it was something along the lines of...

"Trojans normally come in files that are run, not read, but if there is a SERIOUS problem (very unlikely) with the program that is reading a file then it might allow malicious code to be executed."

^No idea if that is true, but sounds plausible (even if incredibly unlikely).

2. I would expect that if you know several people who have been infected by JPGs, then the majority would have opened "coolpicture.jpg.exe" with "Hide extensions for known file types" on in Windows (that is the default). If that was the case then in Explorer the file would have shown as just "coolpicture.jpg" and looked completely harmless.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 14/03/03 07:28 AM
I would expect that if you know several people who have been infected by JPGs, then the majority would have opened "coolpicture.jpg.exe"

Yep, that happens alot, not in this particular case though.

My main point expressed to vcv is that because he hasn't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I remember him saying once (on the old forum) that he doesn't bother with AV software. That's okay, it's his machine, though it's a signal to me that he pays little attention all-round to virus issues. If this is the case then he's hardly an authority on it. And calling someone a liar based on one's personal view is 'Just not cricket'.
Posted By: vcv Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 14/03/03 02:44 PM
Yes..possible.. through Internet Explorer. Not all file types are exploitable though.
Quote:
I know of several people, for example, that have been infected by a trojan in JPG files.

JPG's themselves are exploitable. But as far as I know there has never been any record of a virus 'in the wild' which can do this. Currently the only known virus with that capability is Perrun, which was created by AV developers as a 'proof of concept'. More likely the people you're referring to were infected elsewhere and the virus laid dormant for some time.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 14/03/03 05:00 PM
JPG's themselves are exploitable. But as far as I know there has never been any record of a virus 'in the wild' which can do this.

There is and not limited to JPG. The thing is though it is not common and the simple reason for that is that there are far easier and more productive (for want of a better term) ways of nailing people. To many it is much more fun to visualise the damage one can do and the easiest way to achieve that is to distribute trojans that work from mIRC or distribute a dedicated DDoS bot, many of which are bigger than mIRC, 2MB +, and extremely powerful war machines at that.

As an example and without naming the programme, I know of a DDoS bot that can pick and choose from 1000's of nicks, user ID's and 'full names', which are also at randomly variable lengths. The same thing can also hunt down any available proxies it can find anywhere in the world and use such proxies to join IRC networks. And this animal doesn't need to sit in a channel either, there is only one copy needed. Why waste time trying to offload bad pics when you can do it this way and watch it working?
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 14/03/03 07:18 PM
There is a big flaw in your reasoning: a great many of those seeking things to download dont use common sense and arent very puter literate, and many havent much of a clue the ways they can be subject to virii/trojans/backdoors/exploits or what those things are capable of. They may not even be aware of what "common sense" involves in this case.
For that matter, i wonder how many users, including those those opening their puters to filesharing, have taken steps to protect everything else they have, like documents with tax info, credit card/financial info, social security numbers etc from prying eyes.

It isnt up to me to judge what's legal/illegal or to split hairs by saying that since i can tape a tv show and look at it later (in spite of any fine print that says im not allowed to reproduce it) that its therefore ok to share it with a few hundred strangers online. The bottom line for me is that there is just too much inherent danger in rampant downloading. mIRC was written as a chat client and wasnt intended to be hit and run file sharing central so im not here to help someone find files (most of which are deemed illegal to share by their creators) that put them at risk of exploitation.
Posted By: vcv Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 14/03/03 09:30 PM
There is no flaw. I said anyone who is computer literate (our definitions may differ here.. what I intended probably is more-so "geeks" than anything.. my mistake for not being more clear) should be able to tell the difference.

There is a danger, yes... but if you know what you are doing, the danger is very very minimal, if any.

And to be honest.. I have downloaded a few tv episodes myself from shows I missed.. and I know how and where to get what I want off IRC. I have NEVER.. EVER.. run across a large known channel that servers illegal content and had an official bot that had an infected file. Furthermore, none of my friends have either. Downloading off IRC via larger known channels for stuff like movies is safer than downloading off KaZaA, IMHO. Altough it is still not recommended if you are unfamiliar with it.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 14/03/03 10:49 PM
"... if you know what you are doing..."

My point was that a very high % of ppl asking where to d/l don't know what they are doing in this regard. Perhaps i am assuming too much, but when they say:
I'm new, my friend said...
I dont understand mIRC/IRC, but how do i find...
whats a trigger...
my friend said its a safe place to ...
oh, i didnt know i could get a virus...
not to mention the vast number of infected users who need help, then i tend to think they arent up with the dangers, how to secure their puters, or what to look for/beware of.

So you are one of the lucky/more careful ones who hasnt gotten infected so far. Regardless of how knowledgable/lucky you are, and others who ask may be, that certainly doesnt warrant this forum helping anyone who asks how to find illegal things to download, for the obvious reasons. And i agree that places like kaaza etc are far from safe as well.
Posted By: vcv Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 15/03/03 12:06 AM
Oh.. I would never help anyone find that stuff on here, and hope no one else would either.

My point is simply that it's not as dangerous was some people insist.
Posted By: Poppy Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 15/03/03 12:20 AM
Don't you think that's giving the wrong message though? Surely it's better to educate people before they start thinking they can download anything and everything. Personally, I'd rather be called paranoid than get caught out like that.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 15/03/03 12:44 AM
What vcv actually meant by this...

There is a danger, yes... but if you know what you are doing, the danger is very very minimal, if any.

...means (by my interpretation) that if you are complacent then there's nothing to worry about. Obviously he's put himself in a class above everyone else here tonight, or tried to anyway.
Posted By: vcv Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 15/03/03 02:00 AM
Don't know where you got that from.. but whatever.

If me being able to differentiate between valid files and virii makes arrogant and complacent.. then so be it.
Posted By: Doomstars Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 15/03/03 07:16 AM
Here's my expanded opinion.
It's okay to download videos provided the following.
Videos being t.v. episodes and movies.

1) It's done on a broadcast channel, meaning the lower stations. Anyone can basically get these channels.
2) The commercials aren't removed, out of respect for their right to advertise for compensation of showing it for 'free' basically.

Or if it's NOT ever shown on television anymore in your area, on any of the possible channels you can order, AND it's NOT out on video in stores availible to you, then I think this situation is okay provided commercials are left in. This situation is if someone decided to record it on an upper cable channel, and decides to put it out for all to download if the show is off the air and not in stores.
Posted By: Poppy Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 15/03/03 09:58 AM
Maybe, maybe not. We all know that most people are downloading illegal stuff i.e. brand new movies. These are the people that would be horrified if you tried to actually have a conversation with them on irc. Assuming they were anywhere near their puters while online.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 15/03/03 02:24 PM
These are the people that would be horrified if you tried to actually have a conversation with them on irc.

Very true. Alot of people forget about the 'set and forget' nature of fserves. The biggest fruad of all however is when a network boasts about getting past 100,000 users they have the cheek to pass them off as bona-fide chatters. It's a shame in many ways.
Posted By: Doomstars Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 16/03/03 02:21 AM
But downloading illegal things like that is the same as going to a store, and stealing the actual movie for example.
Posted By: The_Game Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 16/03/03 06:28 AM
Downloading things illegally is pretty much the same thing as copying a cd or a tape be it audio or video and giving it to a friend. I think that no matter if we tell people that its illegal and may be hazardous to your computers, its still going to continue. I think that everyone has given good and bad examples of downloading and the aspects of it. I think that this thread is gonna continue with everyone expressing their views on it and everyone is back to square one.

What I'm getting at is everyone here has at least downloaded something at least once...legal or not and that if someone is gonna do it, at least be cautious about it and not download everything they see and that mIRC may or may not be a good idea to use for downloading. Everyone here has their own views on it i guess...I think that may be it for me on this thread because I am one of those people that download things for me as well as things that aren't in stores.

I've heard people say that they tape things off of tv, with or without the commercials, people download those episodes and put them to disc, with or without commercials....hell I got just about every thundercats episode saved to disc because they don't air on tv anymore and that I have yet to find a dvd or vhs. It was just one of my favorite cartoons when I was younger. I think it just depends on the situation...
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 16/03/03 10:42 AM
I remember about fifteen years ago the TV networks here (In AU) wanted to trial a telly that would lock onto the currently watched channel and volume setting when ads are played. The idea worked because it relied on a special signal broadcast during breaks. Shame that Joe Average threatened to refrain from buying new sets if the idea was implemented.

After that the video and broadcasting industry went back to fighting over which video format was better, Beta or VHS. Beta produced the better picture but was twice the price of VHS. VHS won the battle but is now losing the war to DVD. Beta, in a professional level digital format lives on as a broadcasting standard only. The show goes on...

As for MP3's and also the ability to rip CD's the Australian Commonwealth Government has for a long time been leaned on by record companies to add a supertax to blank tapes and CD's which would fund the assumed losses inherited by them due to the loss of revenue from album sales. The Government has rejected the idea several times sothere is a good chance this tax will never happen.

It's a tough call. On the labels of all music and movie media it says something like "No copying of this without express permission of the publisher" yet copyright laws permit one to make a backup copy for personal use. The same applies to software. I am unsure of the same provisions apply to being able to tape television programmes though. Then again, unless you are raided by the coppers, no-one is ever going to find out.
Posted By: vcv Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 16/03/03 02:55 PM
Thundercats is still on TechTV... or is that Thunderbirds? Crap, I can't remember.
Posted By: Doomstars Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 17/03/03 06:34 AM
That just seems wrong to lock a person on a channel during commercials. It goes too far. But there is a solution to basically free programming, and with people flipping through the channels during commercials. Get rid of the commercials. Instead, auction off commercial space. This commercial space would mean putting advertisements on the screen during the movie. I mean, if it's like Snickers who wants to advertise, put a little Snickers bar logo at the bottom right, about maybe 1/7th the way upward and about 1/10th inward from the right about. This way, people are annoying to look at it and it stays in their minds. Okay, maybe not 100% of the show's time, but have it pop up now and then. It will get their attention. Or if that doesn't work, shorter commercial breaks. Like one commercial per break means like 20-30 seconds. People won't flip around and risk missing it or whatever. And if they do flip around, when they check back, they'll see the commercial.

About artists putting their music onto CDs, here's a solution. Sell it on CDs cheap, and sell it on the Internet cheap too. That way, people won't have to fork over $20 for a CD in a store. Maybe they will feel able to buy it as a MP3 off the Internet maybe for $2.99. People will feel less like stealing hopefully. And with concerts, they earn enough money anyways so they don't have to starve to death or anything.

HDTV is a great invention. But it shouldn't be used on t.v. except for events, such as sports and the news. This makes it so if someone wants it in HD format, they have to buy the DVD. You get what you pay for, and if it's free on t.v., it shouldn't be in HD format.

I think it's okay to download episodes off the Internet if you can't get it anywhere else basically. Even for old movies that you can't find anywhere else. If it is possible to get it reasonably by buying it, that's a different matter since you are directly taking away from possible profit from them, which could lead to more movies in the future if they have the funds.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 17/03/03 09:45 AM
That already happens anyway, especially during live sport. In addition to that is the endles increase in on-field ads, the billboards around the perimeter fence, commercial breaks and the usual BS at the beginning and end of the programme - "This programme was brought to you by <List 30 sponsors here>".

There is one alternative that is better - watching a Government owned broadcaster, NO ADS AT ALL! :-) The 7pm news on the ABC in Australia rocks.
Posted By: The_Game Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 17/03/03 09:03 PM
Im pretty sure that you're thinking of the thunderbirds....I see those on television once in a while....thundercats used to be replayed on the cartoon network but they took it off...otherwise i'd have been using the vcr to record....ah well too late smile
Posted By: Doomstars Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 18/03/03 07:50 AM
Off the topic, but anyways. Is Thunderbirds this? Cause if so, it's on t.v. a lot.

Marionettes play members of an international rescue team in this 1965 series set in the year 2065.
Posted By: The_Game Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 19/03/03 01:25 AM
That would be it. You call em marrionettes I call em cheap Mr. Rogers wannabe puppets but yes you are correct.. that is still on tv often. The thundercats was a cartoon back in the late 80's It was about a civilization of cats from the planet thundara and their planet was destroyed and the survivors found refuge on earth yada yada....was a cheesy cartoon if you think about it but back in the day it was totally kick ass...but I could never find a dvd/vhs on any of the episodes so thats why I downloaded some episodes and put em to disc...

No need to apologize for the off topic discussion...LOL but you are right...
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 19/03/03 04:18 AM
I've never heard of the Thundercats but the Thunderbirds are an absolute legend.
Posted By: Doomstars Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 19/03/03 08:31 PM
Hard to believe that Thunderbirds is on so many times a day.
Posted By: The_Game Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 19/03/03 09:02 PM
You should look into it watchdog, was a cool cartoon...came out about the time the "transformers" came out. Just look past the cheesy animations and voice overs and its still cool. I grew up watching it...but still a classic in my eyes...

As for the thunderbirds...I cant believe that its still going strong on tv...
Posted By: Doomstars Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 20/03/03 07:55 AM
Still off the subject, hope no one minds. But about it going strong, it's not on any basic cable channels, so can that still be said? Maybe it's on a basic cable channel in your area, I don't know. Cause extended cable channels seem to be able to do whatever they want. Overdoing things by showing them a lot. And I don't mean premium. I mean those other channels that even cover some extended premium channels.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 20/03/03 03:30 PM
I can't. I live in a flat and our cable providers won't supply blocks of flats with the service. Same reason I can't use cable for the 'Net. I'd love a static IP but for now I have to use 512k ADSL with dynamic IP.

When I was a squirt I used to get up at 06:00 each morning and after listening to the national anthem (Ahhhh the days before 24hr television) the Thunderbirds would come on and I would much my Weet Bix to the sound of "5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Boom! - Thunderbirds are gooooo."

I look like one of the crew when I am drunk lol.
Posted By: Doomstars Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 21/03/03 10:06 PM
About that one t.v. that has that lock feature, what prevents someone from unplugging it every single time a commercial comes on?
Posted By: The_Game Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 21/03/03 10:46 PM
Well I should rephrase myself about it going strong. In this area They have the television shows every so often but not every day and I think the other day, I thought I saw the movie Thunderbirds 6 on showtime at like 3am....so rather than saying its going strong...I should be saying the re-runs are still showing...LOL
Posted By: Doomstars Re: can anyone tell me where can I find - 21/03/03 11:05 PM
What really counts is how often a complete run of the series occurs. Like a complete series repeat for an old show every 39 weeks is honorable. A less popular show should get a repeat of all the episodes in 78 weeks. Now, if it has a ton of episodes, it may have to be shown every 78 weeks to be fair to newer shows.
© mIRC Discussion Forums