mIRC Homepage
Posted By: WRFan How to remove Music files from DCC>Folders? - 18/08/04 01:04 PM
This option drives me nuts! There's a folder defined under DCC>Folders in the mirc options, which makes mirc copy downloaded music files into a subdirectory of mirc's installation. I remove this line, next time I restart mirc it's back there.

I have hardly any space left on the partition where mirc is installed, that's why I am using a different partition for all downloaded files, but with music files mirc steadily refuses to use the folder I defined for all files, because of this damn setting I can't remove.

Please help
Those are the default folders. You should be able to edit it so that it doesn't affect .wav files and the like. You can also ADD to that list and then choose a new folder from the drop down list in the DCC get dialog.

Do note, mIRC is not a file trading program. Downloading "music" is often illegal due ot the fact it's copyrighted material (i.e. Britney Spears, Linkin Park and so forth all have copyrighted material). IRC is also a CHAT protocol and was/is never intended for mass file trading. We do not help with the downloading of these types of files on this forum.

Regards,
Quote:

Those are the default folders. You should be able to edit it so that it doesn't affect .wav files and the like

lol. yeah, editing did the trick - I simply assigned the same folder to the music files as for all the other files. However, it's not possible to delete this setting altogether - I click the delete button, then "ok", but it's still there on next mirc start. A bug?

Quote:

Do note, mIRC is not a file trading program. Downloading "music" is often illegal

then why was this music files setting added to the default config of mirc anyway??!! It just causes trouble, cause it's undeletable...not to mention the fact that such a setting encourages illegal activity by its very existence grin
Because they are just there as examples. Many people legitimately send sounds to others, simple .wav files like sounds people can put in their scripts (beeps and so forth) or their own music creations. This is what DCC *is* for. mIRC is not a file trading program. Period smile

Regards,
Quote:

This is what DCC *is* for. mIRC is not a file trading program. Period

it wasn't my intention to argue about mirc's purpose, I was just wondering whether mirc's unwillingness to remove the download folder setting for music files is a bug
© mIRC Discussion Forums