mIRC Homepage
Hiya guys,

Firstly, i'm new here, so hello to everyone. I'm very new to all this so please be kind to me wink

Here's my problem i'm hoping you can help me with.

I run an internet radio station called DJ Source Radio, but we've failed to find a reliable ad-free chat room so far, and a few of the users have mentioned setting up an IRC chat room - something which I have very little experience with.

Could someone please advise me how I can create a permanent chat room (one which will stay active even if nobody remains in the room). Also, if possible, i'd like to make a few users of the room moderators when they enter the room so that they can kick out abusive users - is this possible also?

Our station has only been running for a few months, and our budget is very low so ideally, we're looking for something free or with a minimal fee - can someone point me in the right direction please so that I can get a reliable room set up?

Thanks in advance everyone cool
Check this useful thread posted by Mentality. It pretty much covers the whole creating & keeping an IRC channel up smile

Edit: There is the possibily of having moderators (usually called Operators or Ops, which can manage the channel: kicking abusive users; banning them, changin the channel's topic, changing the chan's modes, etc.. You can start by connecting to an IRC network and joining #help (/join #Help) or any help channel and asking more info smile

Good luck!
Zyzzyx smile
There is a thread just above yours entitled Finding and Creating a Channel, you should read it.

IRC is free, creating a channel is free on 99.9% of IRC networks. You need to set up and use mIRC however, in order to connect to IRC and make a channel. mIRC costs $20 to register after the 30 day free trial period.

To cut down on costs, choose a network that supports channel registration - that thread has some suggestions. Channel registration is free on all networks listed and almost all other IRC networks that support it.

Regards,
Cool thanks guys, i'l check that post out.

Just one things though, how do I know which channels are the best to choose - would I be right in thinking that some are likely to be more reliable than others? And also, how do I find out which ones support registering a channel? Are the channels likely to be capped at a certain amount of 'chatters'? - sorry if I sound a bit of a dumb-ass lol - like I say, this is all new territory to me confused
It's no problem, IRC can be very daunting if you're new smile

Quote:
would I be right in thinking that some are likely to be more reliable than others?

I don't really know what you mean by 'reliable'? Channels cannot 'disconnect' or anything, nor do they crash. That is impossible. Channels completely rely upon the network - the bigger networks are more 'reliable' than smaller ones, because they often have better-quality servers. (Servers are what you connect to, and they are linked together to form a network).

If you intend to discuss a specific topic such as your radio station I highly doubt you can use someone elses channel, you'll need to create your own.

Quote:
And also, how do I find out which ones support registering a channel?

Well, that thread states the top 6 networks and describes whether they support channel registration. However, the only other way is to go to the #Help channel (/join #help) once you are connected to a network, and ask them if the network supports channel registration.

Quote:
Are the channels likely to be capped at a certain amount of 'chatters'?

That depends...on a lot of IRC channels, no, there is no limit. However, on a lot of others there is a mode called 'limit' (+l) which limits the number of users in a channel. Simply type /mode #channel - if +l is set, it will say so, and the number that appears in the list of modes is the maximum number of users a channel can have.

Hope this helps (:

Regards,
There are many networks out there, with many different services. You just have to try one and check it out smile You can open your mIRC, press Alt + O and go to Connect > Servers (left side) - you will find many networks there! Yes, some are more reliable than others, but that is mostly a matter of opinion (except when it comes to DDoS attacks, I belive, since most ppl dont like them)

To find out about registering a channel, go to the #help channel of that network and ask if they have Channel Registering services. As an @Operator you can. if you wish to set a limit to the channel. The syntax of the code is: /mode #channel_name +l N with N as the limit number.

Edit: wow Mentality, you sure type fast! smile

Hope this helps! smile
Zyzzy.
Nice one guys, thanks for your help. I'l go and do some experimenting now.

I'l probably be back for more help though haha blush
© mIRC Discussion Forums