mIRC Homepage
Posted By: mr_wabbit Mirc Wont Resume? - 07/08/04 03:26 PM
Hi, When i try and d/l a fairly large file say 700mb if i get cut mirc will never let me resume the file? Is there some option you have to tick or am i doing something wrong?

Many Thanks
Posted By: Mentality Re: Mirc Wont Resume? - 07/08/04 03:32 PM
The DCC Protocol, mIRC and especially the Resume part of the DCC protocol do not handle very large files all that well (usually). None of them were designed for that purpose solely in mind. In theory it should be fine, but in practice, as we continually see, large files do not get handled very well for a lot of people.

At the end of the day, mIRC isn't a file trading program and very very few people will be 'downloading' legitimate 700MB files. I hope you know downloading mp3s, movies and software is highly illegal and makes you liable for very heavy fines.

You could use the Search feature and search for 'DCC Resume'. Expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts' for best results. Many threads have been started about DCC resume.

Regards,
Posted By: blo_inc Re: Mirc Wont Resume? - 08/08/04 01:12 AM
I agree with mentality. We don't support warez, and hopefully you don't either. If you are interested in downloading, then use something like emule or bittorrent, which is made for filesharing, and not chatting smile
Posted By: BlueKai Re: Mirc Wont Resume? - 23/08/04 12:14 AM
options > dcc = if file exists, resume

I'm not sure why you guys don't just answer the question instead of going into a thing about illegal file transfers. There are plenty of us who use mIRC for legal file transfers of large sizes. It's much easier for me to send files to and from family, friends, and even my work computers sometimes using mirc because it's the only thing I trust for security reasons, and the simplicity for my family once set up is perfect. Forget about the crackers, save the soapboxes for the general forums, and don't waste our time if you're not going to answer the questions.
Posted By: Mentality Re: Mirc Wont Resume? - 23/08/04 12:38 AM
Don't waste my time making me repeat what has been said a million times before.

700MB is a very large file - given the amount of posts we receive here that are people actually wanting to download illegal files, it's rare to actually have someone post that is being legitimate (hence the referral to the search feature incase they were). I didn't (and don't) perceive your solution to be the one they wanted, which is why I didn't supply that answer. On the more technical side, DCC is not the greatest protocol to be dealing with files of that size.

Because the person was not very clear with their problem (and only specified a file size) they could always reply and say "I'm not getting anything illegal, my <someone> is sending me a large file smile" and then they could be helped further. As I see it, they have the option to use the search feature which has the ability to provide 90% of answers anyway, and IF they are illegal file trading, they know the dangers and what this forum's stance of it is, so they don't reply with "So yeah, I'm trying to get mp3s, does that make a difference?"

It has nothing to do with being on the 'soap box', and I don't quite know who you're referring to when you say 'our' time. If you don't like the forum rules or how this forum works, you are under no obligation to stay.

Regards,
© mIRC Discussion Forums