mIRC Homepage
Posted By: blo_inc need some help - 02/08/04 03:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I am an ircop on a server, and recently can't connect because I have no o-lines for my host. This is what it looks like as I connect at the start:

-irc.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
-irc.freenode.net- *** Checking ident
-
-irc.freenode.net- *** Couldn't look up your hostname
-

I have an adsl connection, and after I oper up, it says:

-
No O-lines for your host

I don't have a proxy and no firewall or router, What could be wrong, and how could I bypass it?
Posted By: MTec89 Re: need some help - 02/08/04 03:47 PM
well if you are an ircop on freenode (not likely) then you talk to your ircop friends in #freenode and tell them about this
Posted By: blo_inc Re: need some help - 02/08/04 03:51 PM
I was using freenode as an example, I am an ircop on neverdream. btw, what's up with the site, and can anyone else help me?
Posted By: MTec89 Re: need some help - 02/08/04 03:54 PM
well go on neverdream and tell your ircop freinds your having problems.
Posted By: Mentality Re: need some help - 02/08/04 04:00 PM
This just means that the IRCd for the server you're on doesn't have an 'o-line' (a line in the ircd.conf that identifies you as an oper) for your hostname. This is nothing to do with mIRC, it's a server issue, and as Mtec said, you'll need to speak to a server administrator to get your IP/hostname added to the server.

Server administrators are the only ones with the ability to do this (sometimes Assistance Admins too). Check the /motd of the server to see who the server admin is for the server you're using.

Regards,
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: need some help - 02/08/04 04:12 PM
It's probably a result of your hostname not being resolved, which means that if the O-Line uses a hostmask (many do) it won't match. Ask a server admin to add an O-Line for your IP aswell (assuming it's static).
Posted By: blo_inc Re: need some help - 02/08/04 04:20 PM
thanks guys
Posted By: blo_inc Re: need some help - 03/08/04 03:00 PM
btw, What if my ip changes?
Posted By: starbucks_mafia Re: need some help - 03/08/04 03:55 PM
If your IP changes dramatically then you'll have to ask the server admin to leave the hostname/IP field of the O-Line as just a wildcard. It makes it slightly less secure, but as long as you've got a decent password and you're on a small network it shouldn't matter really. However I'd surprised if at least your IP's network number (the first one or two octets) doesn't remain the same.
© mIRC Discussion Forums