Posted By: JamesBombed
More Chat safety - 14/01/04 09:26 AM
I have started using mIRC as an IRC lient. I like the way you can log all the chat. That is usefult for me as I am trying to make an "alert" for chat against child molesters and the like.
Perhaps someone out there could help me by logging their stuff and sending it to me. They could remove anything they didn't want anyone to see, of course. I just want to see as wide variety of word uses as I can.
If someone out there would like to do that, could they also include their age and nick with any submisions.
Hoping somebody will answer my call
Posted By: Raccoon
Re: More Chat safety - 14/01/04 11:00 PM
While public channels are generally, public... some of us still prefer a bit of fair privacy when it concerns distributing and publishing digital logs of conversations.
You will be hard pressed to find anyone willing to surrender their logs for an unknown cause as yours.
Posted By: ParaBrat
Re: More Chat safety - 15/01/04 12:25 PM
With all due respect to your intent, please realize that logs can be altered. I cant see what useful info you would hope to gain by ppl sending their logs to you, and most assuredly dont care for the thought of ppl sending logs, along with their nick and age to any stranger. I would strongly advise against this, and most especially if you want ppl to email them to you as that would also be giving their email addy to a stranger.
Again, please understand i am not implying any insult towards you specifically or your intent.
Posted By: theAncinetOne
Re: More Chat safety - 21/01/04 12:26 AM
If I understand your post correctly you intend to perform lexical analysis of the logs with aim of detecting paedophiles etc. With all due respect: you are wasting your time. No amount of positive identification of phrases can or will positively identify a person as a child molester. Writing an AI (artificial intelligence) script that could do that would be something I would put in the “impossible” basket.
1. Anyone with logs positively identifying a paedophile should contact police not you
2. If you are asking for logs it means you have no practical knowledge on the subject – psychoanalytical profiles of such people, their “grooming” techniques etc.
3. You assume each paedophile is the same (uses the same language mannerism)
4. how do you propose the script will tell apart a paedophile from people who discuss paedophilia and may use the same phrases
5. Your script can only see public conversations – I doubt very much an offender would commit his crime in an open channel
6. If it is for your own “protection” than your brain should send alarm signals long before any script would and if it doesn’t neither would your script as your AI programming would only follow your own logic
7. mIRC script is not really suitable as an AI language
Do I make it harder than it is? Perhaps I am. Write a script that will detect people who like apples and yet they never say “I like apples”. If you can do that, ignore my rumblings.