mIRC Homepage
Posted By: NightCrawler8283 continued - 12/11/03 03:11 AM
im sorry for being a lil testy in my other thread... first of all.. before i go further.. im not whining, im not complaining and i have read all the posts concerning the matter. so keep that in mind before replying. the idea in my last post was to make u think... microsoft windows was at first free.. yes free... then to upgrade bill gates made people pay... now what i was thinking is maybe the exploit was left in mirc to get people to upgrade to HAVE to deal with the nag window... to get more money whether it be a business scam or not... this is just a thought... no one knows khaled personally and cant be sure... i have paid for mirc as i dont have this problem... just a personal theory of mine.

again this is my personal view... though i dont have much to back it up wink but anyways... just felt like typing ideas out in public
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: continued - 12/11/03 05:33 AM
"no one knows khaled personally and cant be sure"

Wrong. Beyond that, simple logic blows your theory to smithereens.

And as i said before, the idea is absurd. It is so illogical and without basis that it doesnt warrant discussion. Now stop with this unwarranted conspiracy nonsense please.
Posted By: STING Re: continued - 12/11/03 06:16 AM
1) The exploit was already in mIRC versions, before the persistent nag window

2) MS Windows was never free. Please provide a source for your statement

3) I don't believe you have payed for mIRC at all, since you have this very negative theory about mIRC's author.
Posted By: PastMaster Re: continued - 12/11/03 07:58 AM
If Khaled was really intent on trying to FORCE people to pay for mIRC immediately, he would have made mIRC into crippleware (i.e. the program would disable after expiration of the trial period). The fact that he has not done this says a lot about him.

mIRC has been shareware for years. The more recent versions just make it a little more difficult to ignore that fact. Nobody with a clear conscience should be upset by the nag screen.

Nobody is *forced* to upgrade mIRC, and clever people have made scripts available for dealing with the exploit on older versions. Equally, nobody is forced to use mIRC at all - there are lots of other clients out there.

To suggest that an exploit was deliberately introduced or left in makes no sense. There is a risk in every new version that people will dislike the changes so much they abandon mIRC for a new client, or decide not to register it. So why take the unnecessary risk?

PastMaster
Posted By: Krejt Re: continued - 12/11/03 09:48 AM
Enough now. I know Khaled personally. I consider him one of my best friends, I know him for being kind, caring and sincere. He'll never ever come up with such a stupid plot. I've been around when we discussed making mIRC shareware or not - with the risk of quitting mIRC development for a 'real job'. I've seen him fighting with that decision. I've seen the struggle with the about dialog - how to urge but not force pple to pay... Have you read his homepage? his 'speech' in the help file? the fund-raisers?

Mamamia, he's a great guy and doing his very very best for mIRC and its users. He really doesn't deserve another crap discussion like this. Shame on you!
Posted By: NightCrawler8283 Re: continued - 12/11/03 05:00 PM
Quote:
2) MS Windows was never free. Please provide a source for your statement
when microsoft first came out with its first operating system.. it was free. its smart marketing. make everyone love it and pay when they want more.

2nd i DID pay for mirc as i have for many other programs that i have. mIRC is an excellent program and have used it since the release of v4.1..

now onto my dear moderators. my theory was just a theory. now whether u know khaled personally or not has nothing to do with me. I DONT know him. which is reason for the post. im not attacking the al mighty god known as khaled. i have read the readmes and the faqs and his personal webpage. and he seems like a great person. but everyone has a darkside. how often do u do things without others knowing (perhaps behind their backs?) and shame on me? this is a general discussion board and i will post all the ideas i wish as the rules of this forum allow me. some ideas will seem absurd and a bit far fetched and some will be more (to you) logical. i have made my post and my point. have an excellent day and keep up the good work khaled you have an excellent program and many praise you for all the hard work you have done smile grin
© mIRC Discussion Forums