mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#236610 12/03/12 09:43 AM
D
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
I've just recently purchased mIRC, But every so often it keeps crashing, the only information I have is what's shown when it crashes, Windows pops up a dialog with this information in it:

mIRC Crash Report

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Do you using a clean install of mirc? or any scripts loaded?

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
D
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
I have used mIRC 6.22 prior to this new version, and everything worked fine, No Crash or anything.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As he asked, is this with a clean install without any scripts loaded? Scripts (DLLs, usually) are the most common cause of crashing and it doesn't matter if it worked fine in previous versions. Scripts and DLLs often need to be updated for newer versions of mIRC.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
I have a clean version running now with no scripts loaded, But after a while, it still crashes.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Type the following in mIRC and report the results here:

//echo -a $version $os $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $dll(0) $script(0)

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
7.22 7 912dfaee60f144853a33231688312686 ok 0 1

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Thanks for confirming your copy is clean. That said, I think that will make this harder to reproduce/get any more info on. If this is really happening on a clean copy of mIRC, I feel like you probably have corrupt data on your OS, or faulty hardware. mIRC may be slow, but it's probably one of the most stable programs I've ever used. I've actually never seen mIRC crash randomly without malicious external input (exploit) or a faulty script. Not once. In over a decade.

Are you doing anything specific around the time of the crash that might help diagnose the problem? Does it happen around a preset time after starting the client? If it's really just "random", it's more likely your OS than mIRC, I think.

Do you have an anti-virus program running? If so, try disabling it to test if this continues to happen. Your AV might be messing with the client.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
D
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
maybe if I run debug mode, maybe that might shed some light on it, I'll try that and get back to you.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Note that the exception indicates that it's an "access violation", meaning mIRC tried to access invalid memory. Again, I've never seen mIRC do this on its own, so I feel like there was some external influence.

On a related note, this might help diagnose: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/210693-appcrash-exception-code-c0000005.html

Heed the warning about overclocking. This goes back to my point about hardware. Did you by any chance overclock your machine? OCing can have this kind of effect on programs. Some modern CPUs have automatic OC detection and will up their clocks automatically by default, check your BIOS to make sure that your CPU is running at its factory specification.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
D
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Well since it crashed the 1st time, I put it on under XPSP2 Compatibility mode, and it's not crashed since.

Link Copied to Clipboard