mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
T
Although I suspect this one is known, I thought I might as well report it just in case. Under XP x64 beta mIRC will currently fail consistantly if nearly any action is taken (opening the servers dialog after having connected to a server once, trying to select a different option from nearly any dropdown, etc.) mIRC will hang, and will afterward consistantly hang when started

Although I don't know claim to fully understand the system involved, I can tell you that I believe the problem is likely caused by mIRC not being fully 32 bit code. There is an engine in x64 called WOW64 that allows backwards compatibility, but only to fully 32 bit apps. Therefore, although it attempts to run mIRC as a 32 bit process, any change that calls 16 bit code will cause a crash

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defaul...pplications.asp

NOTE: it is possible to get mIRC open after changing one of the settings that triggers a crash by opening irc:// type links (these will open mIRC without opening the settings dialog) to get limited functionality. However, this will mean that you'll be locked into the settings you have.

Note to mods/admins/etc.: I'm not posting this bug to annoy you or anything like that. If you disagree with it, please delete this topic, but I ask that you note somewhere on the download site or in the FAQ that it will not run properly under XP x64 edition beta

Last edited by The_Nightshift; 17/09/04 11:03 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Although I suspect this one is known, I thought I might as well report it just in case. Under XP x64 beta mIRC will currently fail consistantly...

Alot of things tend to fail when using beta software. That is why it is beta - ie: for testing/development purposes and not routine use.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Yes but the problems are most likely due to 16-bit legacy code in mIRC which will still not work in any version unless there are some pretty dramatic changes in backwards-compatability policies at MS.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
T
OP Offline
T
Right. Current plans definetly suggest that it will fail under the final version as well.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Chances are it won't. I am pro-Windows for most things but I, like alot of others get rather tired of Microsoft dictating to consumers. Then again it's called moving foward, we are in the 21st century, etc etc etc. I suppose whatever happens someone will be upset by it. I see no reason why 16 bit should fall by the wayside just because the OS supports 64 bit but at the same time there may be a specific reason for it.

T
OP Offline
T
Hate to say this, but XP 64 bit is waaaaaaay too far into development for a 16 bit engine to be built into it. That major a change would have to be made in the late alpha/very early beta phase. Unless they chose to make a big exception to that unwritten rule here, XP 64 bit final will break 16 bit code

O
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
O
ARG i wish I would of saw this earlier, PITA. frown

Link Copied to Clipboard