mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Sp0ck Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
I dont know if this is a bug or a feature but i couldnt find it in the lists over possible shortcuts so im asuming its a bug.

When you press ctrl+shift+? and then release and continue to type something else, the fontsize will get really small in the textbox, but when you press enter it goes back to normal and the text you submitted is also normal.

Not really a big thing but a bug/feature nevertheless.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
no problems here, might be dll interference or a script retry w/ clean mirc :P

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I cannot confirm with 6.15/XP Pro.

As Mtec said, try a fresh install of mIRC and see if it still occurs. Also, try the default font and see if that still happens - does it happen with only a specific font? Does it happen every time you do it?

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Sp0ck Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
This is a clean install and its running the Tahoma font. (in XP Pro)
And yes it happens every time.

I asked some other people in IRC to test it out and they got the same thing, however i havent checked if its still there in 6.15.

you press and hold down ctrl+shift at the same time and press ? then let go and type whatever.

the text in the textbox gets really small.
Heres a screen: the timestamp shows the normal size and the otherone is how the textbox get after pressing c+s+?

/edit

After some checking i notice its only in some fonts (for instance Tahoma does this but fixedsys does not)

Last edited by Sp0ck; 06/06/04 08:55 PM.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I suggest you upgrade to 6.15 and test it then. It's only a bug if it exists in the latest version too - and I've tried what you said atleast 5 times in 6.15 XP pro with default font, and cannot reproduce this bug.

Check if SJIS/JIS conversion is on, or any of multibyte options in ALT+O > IRC > Messages - If they are, try disabling them and see if that helps, then report it.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
Tested in mIRC 6.15, it happens here too, but it's ctrl-shift-= on my keyboard layout (Belgian AZERTY). It toggles between normal text and small text each time you do that combo, gives for some fancy blahBLAHblahBLAH effects cool
Also font dependent, Tahoma gives this strange stuff, fixedsys does not...

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I've tried this combination too, with Tahoma and FixedSys, and I still cannot reproduce it. Did you check the SJIS/JIS thing? I do not have those options checked and out of all the font problems that occur (or general character issues) I find that feature is an issue.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
Apparently, it only happens when multibyte editbox is enabled.
Some more testing revealed that the font doesn't really matter: it happens with Tahoma, Arial, System, Fixedsys, ...
For System and Fixedsys size 12, it's really hard to notice, the only change is that everything is one pixel lower... For fixedsys size 24 it shows a lot better smile (worse actually)

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Nope, still can't confirm with multibyte editbox (And none of the other 4 options) enabled. I made the font large, and once again tried with Tahom and Fixedsys, and tried 5+ times. The font size just doesn't change in the editbox.

Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options

Do you have a different language set that might use non-alphanumeric letters? (i.e. circumflexes etc.)

As you've both experienced this, and I've followed your instructions to the letter thus far and I am not experiencing it, I guess it's got something to do unrelated to mIRC, most likely Windows settings. Multibyte editbox does seem like the likely culprit however, as the problem is occuring in the editbox.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
Well, got language set to Dutch (Belgium) and Keyboard layout to Belgian (Period). I guess the reason you cannot get this bug has something to do with keyboard layout. I'd say keep ctrl-shift pressed and have some fun pressing all keys that's not letters smile then type some more text.

Just to be sure: you don't see any change with just triggering it, it's only when you type something that the cursor/fontsize changes, and only for the new text typed, anything that's already in the editbox stays the same.

I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
I had assumed this was about changing the size of text that was already there, and couldn't reproduce it.
After hitting Ctrl + Shift + = and typing more, it does indeed change.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
See, I have language set to English (United States) and keyboard layout set to English (United States) (I find it easier to type with their layout!) and I've tried CTRL+SHIFT+? and CTRL+SHIFT+= so many times, with different fonts, with different sized fonts, with multibyte editbox on and off, with SJIS/JIS conversion on/off, etc.

I don't know why it's not affecting me. I guess seeing as it's affecting others it must be a bug, I guess we'll just leave it for Khaled to figure out and fix! (He loves bug fixing, don't feel sorry for him grin)

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
G
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
G
I have language set to Norwegian (Norway) and keyboard layout set to Norwegian (Norway). and I dont get any problems wit c+s+=/? ..

Signature:
I'm boring, ain't I? Oh well...:|
K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
I changed my keyboard layout to norwegian and and I can reproduce it with ctrl-shift-+. Multibyte editbox must be on, SJIS off and ansi codes off, multibyte display doesn't affect it. Just type something, press trl-shift-+ then type some more (dont hit enter in between, when you use arrow up to get last command, it shows up normal)

For Mentality: keyboard layout to US -> ctrl-shift-= did it here, maybe you have some dvorak thingy or something?

What I also found out during testing: why does ctrl-m act as ctrl-enter? Is that a feature or a bug? smile

Z
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Z
Confirmed with Tahoma & Multibyte editbox on. I have no idea what's the keyboard's configuration (i think its International English) but when i press Ctrl, Shift & + i get the small letters.

Using v6.15 & WinXP Home SP1.

Last edited by Zyzzyx26; 07/06/04 06:46 PM.

"All we are saying is give peace a chance" -- John Lennon
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I was able to reproduce this with Control+Shift+=. I have heard of other similar issues with the multibyte editbox. The multibyte editbox is essentially a richtext editbox as opposed to a normal editbox.

The issues seem to be system/language/font specific and a part of the richtext editbox feature-set that bypasses the application that is using it. There doesn't seem to be a way to prevent it as far as I can tell.

Link Copied to Clipboard