mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#226571 07/10/10 10:09 PM
M
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
My router does not use UPnP... but NAT-PMP (NAT Port Mapping Protocol). It's very simple and easy to implement, and basically use a script to handle port mapping. Under 6.5 it was more reliable than UPnP (though not 100%) at mapping the port 113 in time using the on logon event that it would successfully complete the process before mIRC received the actual request.

Since UPnP support was added, it's now usually fails to map on the first attempt. And I have no clue as to why. NAT-PMP is a very simple, very brief protocol. Packets very in size from just two bytes for obtaining the external IP to 12-16 bytes for mapping an actual port.

Oh and btw... Everytime I click to disable UPnP in the options window, I get a warning that UPnP isn't supported.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This issue has been discussed in previous posts. UPnP can be slow and possibly unreliable depending on your UPnP setup on your system and/or your router. You can google UPnP to learn about similar issues with other applications.

If you disable UPnP in mIRC and it reports that UPnP is not supported, this means that UPnP is not working correctly on your system. I would recommand downloading UPnP testing software (see my previous post) to monitor UPnP activity. This will tell you whether UPnP is correctly setup on your system and router and it will also show you exactly when mIRC adds/removes UPnP ports.

M
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
I Know UPnP isn't supported on my system. I'm stating that when I try to disable it (as it's enabled by default) I get the warning. I also get the warning when I enable it. Which is understandable. But not when disabling it.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Whenever you disable an item, mIRC checks to see if you have any items still enabled and if you do it performs a full check to see whether UPnP is working based on the remaining enabled items. If any of those fail, mIRC displays the UPnP error dialog. If you disable an item and there are no remaining items enabled, the error dialog is not displayed. Is that what you mean?

M
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
Yep! That would describe what I am experiencing... smile

Link Copied to Clipboard