mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Dear Khaled,

I would like to request the identifier $text that complements the token parameter $1-, but is not tokenized, and is not lost when using the /tokenize command. This identifier would be available to all On Events where $1- is currently populated.
  • Reasons:

$1- returns $null when a user sends a message or notice that consists entirely of spaces.

$len($1-) == 5 when a user sends the message "<100 spaces>HELLO<100 spaces>".

$rawmsg can no longer be reasonably parsed by script authors owing to new server/client CAP support for message tags, which grossly augments the expected server protocol output. The script author would have to be privy to all the possible $rawmsg augmentations in order to handle them and 'find' the user string ($text).

$1- cannot be reworked with /tokenize without first storing the original value to variable. While all other identifiers such as $nick $address $target $event $chan etc all enjoy immunity to this.

$1- does not automatically propagate to aliases called from events, unlike all other event identifiers as listed above. Eg, $nick is available to any custom alias or identifier that is called within an Event. $text would be, too.

There is a work-around solution. I do not enjoy having to employ this solution in every script event I write.
This only works for event types with a match-text parameter.

Code:
On @$*:TEXT:/(.*)/:#IRCHelp: {
  var %msg_length = $len($1-)
; var %raw_length = $len($text)
  var %raw_length = $len($regml(1))
  var %excessive_spaces = $calc(%rawlen - %msglen)
  if (%excessive_spaces > 10) {
    ban -qu600 $chan $nick 2
    msg $chan (x) $nick $+ : Please do not paste artwork to the channel. Thanks!
  }
} ; By Raccoon 2017

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Raccoon
$rawmsg can no longer be reasonably parsed by script authors owing to new server/client CAP support for message tags, which grossly augments the expected server protocol output. The script author would have to be privy to all the possible $rawmsg augmentations in order to handle them and 'find' the user string ($text).

FWIW I think this is a strong argument. One could argue about whether those message tags were a good idea in the first place, but now that mIRC does support them, parsing $rawmsg has definitely become a whole lot more complicated..

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Thanks, Sat! smile

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
As far as msgtags being 'grossly augments' to the IRC protocol, as the RFC defines them:
If included, they will *always* be a single space-delimited token
If included, they will *always* start with @
If included, they will *always* be at the start of a server-sent message

Also note that IRCv3 msgtags aren't directly tied to CAP. At any point that a client encounter's a server message fitting the above, regardless of CAP modules enabled, the first token is to be assumed as msgtags. Because of this, its simply a matter of checking if ^@\S*\x20 matches and then removing it to get the semblance of pre-msgtags server message:

Code:
on *:....:{
  var %msgtags, %rawmsg = $rawmsg
  if (@* iswm $rawmsg) {
    %msgtags = $gettok($rawmsg, 1, 32)
    %rawmsg = $regsubex($rawmsg, ^@\S*\x20, )
  }

;; %rawmsg now contains the server-message as though msgtags didn't exist
}

---

With that said, I do agree that $text would be a beneficial inclusion; the biggest reason being non-loss data after tokenization.

Last edited by FroggieDaFrog; 09/06/17 06:57 PM.

I am SReject
My Stuff
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Bump. Pleeease!

Let EVENTS produce $text identifier, similar to the $1- portion of $rawmsg. Inherited by called aliases the same way $nick and $address and $target is. Not stripped of contiguous spaces. Not lost with /tokenize.

Link Copied to Clipboard