Print Thread
#237615 22/05/12 02:18 AM
A
aZzz Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
A
Please, can the Quit Message in Options>IRC>Messages be given command line modification?

I thought I would get clever and make a $duration text string to update my Quit Message automatically each time I run mIRC. Soon found there was no command line method of modifying that 'option'.

So ... instead I made a quick script to search for the 'quit=' line in mirc.ini and replace it with my new $duration text each time mIRC runs. I thought all went great as I could see the change being made in the mirc.ini file perfectly, until I disconnected/reconnected mIRC and the damn thing was still set to whatever I had manually typed into the Options>IRC>Messages dialog box.

If there is a way around this, please let me know... If not, please can this little change be made in a future release? Either allow the quit= line in mirc.ini be modifyable or introduce a commandline function to modify the setting.

THANKS!

aZzz #237616 22/05/12 04:25 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
$duration is a built in identifier, you should use a different name. Just make a $quitmsg alias and put it in the setting, then have the alias return whatever you want. You can't edit mirc's ini file when it is running.

Loki12583 #237618 22/05/12 07:24 AM
A
aZzz Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
A
Thanks for the reply.

I know what $duration is .......

I pointed out that I cant modify mirc.ini while its running ......

I didn't even THINK it would be possible to use an %alias in the quit message field ... but voila ...

Thanks!

aZzz #237640 22/05/12 10:58 PM
P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
Nor would have I. That was a gnarly tip, Loki.

I wonder how easy/difficult it would be to establish an official mIRC documentation wiki whose backend software could dump (export) the whole thing to a mirc.chm file upon demand. It could start out by having mirc.chm's present contents imported into it. From then on, it would be edited by Khaled and other mSL experts alike. And with a "take snapshot and compile to mirc.chm" download link, people could take/download snapshots (including Khaled, for producing each release's official mirc.chm file). As wonderful as mirc.chm is compared to the sparse documentation afforded by most software, there is much obscure knowledge floating around that isn't in it.

Link Copied to Clipboard