mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
V
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
V
There's a use case that I regularly want but almost always spend five minutes re-learning whenever I need it, because I find it counter-intuitive.

Namely, I want to be able to connect to channels spanning multiple servers at the same time (on different networks). The intuitive way to do this would be to right-click the empty space in the left pane (which shows the servers/channels you're connected to), and the context menu that appears would include an option such as "Connect to a new server" or "Add a server connection" or something like that.

Instead, I have to go to File->New Window, then select a server and connect. This is fine; but it would really save me (and hopefully others) discovery time if there was a context menu item for this in the server list.

Thanks for your consideration!

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
This sounds more like a Feature suggestion rather than a bug.

Since you regularly want to connect to these servers, my recommendation is to use a small script that runs when you start mIRC.

The basics for the script have been posted many times before, and basically look like this
Code:
on *:start:{
.server irc.network1.com -j#chan1,#chan2,#chan3
.server -m irc.network2.com -j#chan1,#chan2,#chan3,#chan4
.server -m irc.network3.org -j#chan3,#chan4
}

Of course, you'll have to replace the network and channel information to make it appropriate for your situation.

I also recommend, if you do it this way, that you disable the Enable perform on connect, which is located at mIRC Options -> Connect -> Options -> Perform

You can get more details about the /server command and the various switches and parameters (I kept it simple in the code), by looking at /help /server

V
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
V
Whoops, I intended to post this in the Feature Suggestions forum. Thank you for this script; it will help a lot. It's become quite a chore to manually connect to the servers/join the channels every time I open mIRC.

G
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
G
This is my chief complaint with mIRC: having to monotonously reconnect to each server and join every channel individually after rebooting.

Sure, I could come up with a simple script, but this is a basic usability issue; mIRC already has settings that try to 'restore' the client to it's last-known state, it should go further and re-connect to each server and re-join the channels you were last in.

I'd compare this to browsers restoring your tabs after a reboot/crash--it's sooo handy.

Link Copied to Clipboard