Print Thread
#202183 17/07/08 04:04 AM
M
MTec007 Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
how about a mIRC with no installer, to match the -portable command line switch? in order to get mirc on a USB/thumb/whatever drive/stick you must first install mirc in the first place. (OKAY well you can extract the installer like a archive using 7zip/etc) but why not have a zip/cab/etc archive for us portable users? i thought it sounded good any way.. what do you think about this topic? more-so, if Khaled happens to read this.. what do you think about it?

Last edited by MTec007; 17/07/08 04:30 AM.
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
its called a binary package
and i support this idea smile

This is not the signature you are looking for
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Can't you just install to the usb key directly? It would be the same as simply "unpacking" a regular zip file, but using the installer to do it.. I see no difference except in the UI

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
M
MTec007 Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
no it wouldn't be the same. it would still add to the registry... irc:// protocol... for example. not to mention that it actually adds mIRC to ad/remove programs when you install it. That's why i said this idea would go great with the "-portable" switch because it doesn't touch the registry either.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
As an alternative suggestion to a separate version of mIRC without an installer, seeing as how mIRC's installer already has several installation options (full, upgrade, & custom), maybe a 4th option (portable) could be added so that mIRC installs to the portable drive and doesn't create the registry and add/remove items.

This seems, to me, to be a simpler option as it would still mean that only one style of mIRC would have to be held on the servers/mirrors, rather than two.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Also because the binary .exe isnt always the only thing you want.. but sometimes the servers.ini, popups.ini, etc. as well, which the installer would give you.

I like Russell's idea. thumbs up.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
M
MTec007 Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
thats a good idea, that will (should) work just fine smile

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Now we just need to wait for Khaled to:
1) Agree with the suggestion
2) Implement the suggestion
3) Debug the implementation
4) release a version with the suggestion in a working form.

Link Copied to Clipboard