mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
StanZ Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
There are scripts that are best viewed in a certain screen mode. (i.e. 320*240*16 60 Hz)
It would be great to be able to set the resolution, bitplane and frequency. (refresh for their display)
Most of stuffs run faster in a 16 bitplanes mode. Also in fullscreen mode, it's nice to hide the mouse cursor (btw one could change it with simple draw commands)

J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
Surely its easy to simply resize the mirc window to the resolution you want? changing resolution colour depth and monitor refresh frequency seem a little drastic, computers allow 320x240 still? sure its possible but i thought windows xp's minimum was 800x600 (albeit games do what they like). that said im sure there's nothing worse than a broken mirc for dos? or whatever ancient script it sounds like are using. if it is pretty old, archaeologists might be interested as it sounds like some kinda of rare artifact.
My ramblings aside.... right click the desktop, settings. change the resolution?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Setting the resolution etc. will obviously change everything on the screen. For a non-fullscreen application like mIRC (maximised is not the same as fullscreen) it'd make no sense for it to do that - more specifically, it'd be very, very annoying. As for speed issues, well yes a lower bitdepth and resolution is less taxing on the graphics card. But mIRC isn't particularly graphics intensive anyway, so if it's causing issues the user should probably be using different screen settings in general.

As for resolution-specific scripts, tell the scripter to change the code. There's very little in any mIRC script I can think of that can't scale to any resolution if coded correctly, and absolutely nothing that can't handle 99% of situations and fail gracefully on the remaining 1%.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
S
StanZ Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Real time resizing is clearly not a good method. Slow prehistoric scripting.
There are no full frame rate with a window > 800*600 unless you force a timer. (crap) So forget every neat animation in those large resolutions.
You can set the resolution to 320*200 under XP (if it's supported by your card and monitor) but not since the panel control.
You have no ideas about picwin scripting. If mIRC isn't particularly graphics intensive, some of us likes to proves the contrary since years.
The scripts I talk aren't unique or old one. Changing the resolution is a basic. Too bad, mirc doesn't offer this option.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Are you using fullscreen picwins then? If not then this entire thread is beyond ridiculous. If you are, and for whatever reasons you are unwilling/unable to optimise your code to perform adequately at a reasonable resolution then you've got an obvious, if not ideal, solution: Just use the resolution you want for your picwin and centre it in the middle of the screen with a black background.

I can assure you I know enough about picwins to know that you're probably better off posting this in the scripting forum and asking for help optimising the code than asking for a crazy feature to provide an extremely dubious 'solution' to your problem. One that no doubt very few people would be happy to be subjected to in order to make your script work correctly.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Dont like the idea at all, a scriptable way to change a windows setting like resolution seems like a bad idea to me. I would hate to load a script and have it change the location of all my desktop icons, configuration of open applications and subsequent positioning and so on.

Another thing to keep in mind is often people are using generic display drivers, that can infact list resolutions that are not supported by the monitor. Windows requires an after-apply confirmation to keep such setting alterations in order to avoid probably caused by this. I can't think of any reliable way for mirc to do the same unless it actually triggered windows own display alteration in which case youd get that same confirmation box, every time. If it didn't work in this way then users could end up with a resolution unsupported by the display device and no easy way (for most people) to correct it.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Basic rule of programming for anything other than full-screen games:

KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE THINGS THE USER SHOULD BE SETTING

That goes for mIRC scripts just as much as it goes for text editors and bookkeeping programs. Most people will immediately remove a program that messes with their screen resolution.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Indeed, i have removed programs in the past for requiring unrelated things be set a certain way.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Or even use 2 windows one in whatever resolution it is and the other in the users resolution and just /drawcopy it to the middle.

StanZ picwin scripts are optimized and totally mindblowing at times (Coding style is nasty though, proper code indenting does wonders to readability StanZ) so i dont think he needs telling on optimisation.
However i agree that this is a ridiculous request.

$maybe
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
He makes them like that deliberately to stop people ripping them afaik.

S
StanZ Offline OP
OP Offline
S
You just have to crack a bit your brain that changing resolution is ideal
for any real time animations in any language.
No need to speak of slow machines. 1024*768*32 is already too much for 3 GHz.
I'm not thinking at commands that makes those scripts now-fullscreen™.
The first idea was switching to lowres then open a fullscreen window in a brand new script.
I meant that watching in windowed mode ruins everything especially on a large desktop.
Which is the case of most scripts I know. (320*200 to 800*600)
By experience I had good results with 640*480*16 60 Hz.
Streching such a window in real time is making slow half frame projects.
There are (good) win32 lowres applications that brings back everything. I see multiples solutions
about the hardware compatibility.

All these problems of portability, speed of development are problems of commercials.
Strictly no interest for me, these are my creations.
Also there are unfounded remarks while true this would slow down everything.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
What? can someone translate that for me!

Link Copied to Clipboard