#27502 01/06/03 07:42 PM
D
DroopZ Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
D
Heyz,

My ISP limits me in my up/download capacity.
Maybe it would be usefull to make it possible that you can send 1 file to 3 users at the same time.
1 Upload to multiple users saves a lot of time and Bytes of your up/download capacity.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
If you wanna send data to 3 different people then you have to send it 3 times, once to each person.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well thats not possible. Sockets (leaving out the few instances that don't apply here) only send communications between two machines, you can't simply send the file to 3 places, it has to be sent to each one seperately.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There is such a thing as multicasting that is designed to do what you said, except that most of the internet doesn't support multicasting, and I'm pretty certain neither does mIRC.

I recommend exploring other options such as USENET NNTP (news groups). This allows you to upload a single file to a group, which gets propogated and stored on every subscribing news server, from which other people download it from. You might also look into getting a shell account or webhost, so you can remotely host files on an FTP server or HTTP download.

- Raccoon

[color:EAD1A5](neato, my 200th post)[/color]

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
H
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
H
Unfortunately, the feature you propose wouldn't decrease your upload usage count. By the way the Internet functions, when you send a file to three people simultaneously, you are still sending the data three seperate times. Being able to send files to multiple users with the use of only one window would be a convenient feature, but not for the reason you mention. Instead, I suggest you look for a different ISP, or snail mail or phone your current ISP and let the COO (chief operating officer) know that you're thinking about switching because of their unfair download and upload limits. Good luck...

B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
All free options:

Option 1 (for big files): Use bittorrent to send files out for maximum efficiencty.

Option 2 (for updating big ISO files): Use a program such as Jigdo.

Option 3 (for small files): Upload the file(s) to some free HTTP server such as brinkster.com, geocities.com, etc, etc.. Then hand the link out. (with most of these sites, you'll need to setup an html page with a link to the file as direct linking will not work)

Option 4: Use some newsgroup to host the file for you.

Option 5: Get a free shell that supports FTP. (if you don't know what a shell is, then I suggest you forget about this option)

Option 6 (the non-third party software/hosting option that still uses DCC for a group of coordinated people): Send the file to one person, then have that person send the file to another person, while you send the file to another person, then that person sends to another person.. Just use distribution logic if you need to distribute files within a group. (the 'coordination' could be handled by scripts that people have loaded)

Option 7 (the good ole fashioned option): Just send the file to each individual person yourself, patiently wait for the transfers to finish, and don't send humongous files to people.

-- Edit (everything below this was added in the edit)
(there are other illegal ways to get your files hosted places, but I'd rather not go into that. smile )

Non-free Options:

Option 1: Get a better ISP. This may not even involve spending more money.

Option 2: Pay for a lot of webspace and bandwidth on either a remote shell or HTTP server.

Last edited by BoredNL; 02/06/03 08:39 AM.

- Wherever you go there you are.[color:lightgreen]
R
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
R
you mean multi-source ? resume the same file from diffrent users, like kazaa/edonkey/bit-torrent does?

Link Copied to Clipboard