mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#205111 13/10/08 03:08 AM
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
It would be neat and useful to change what goes around the nicks. So, if we want, we can change it from <Nick> to [Nick] or {Nick}. Etc. Maybe it is possible to write a script for that.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Scripts for handling this recommendation have been written so often, it's almost ridiculous.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
I agree that this should be changable in the mIRC settings dialog. Perhaps a prefix and suffix editbox.

Prefix: [
Suffix: ]

[Nick]

Prefix: 04(12
Suffix: 04)

(Nick)

I'm not sure what should be permitted as prefixes and suffixes. I don't think that $identifiers should be allowed.

-genius_at_work

RusselB #205135 14/10/08 01:12 AM
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
Originally Posted By: RusselB
Scripts for handling this recommendation have been written so often, it's almost ridiculous.

Then post one up here please. smile

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Due to the search limitations of this forum, I was only able to find this one quickly https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php?ub...true#Post198507

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Any theming script would work

/help ON TEXT
/help Halting default text

shows you how to accomplish it. A simplistic example would be:

Code:
ON ^*:TEXT:*:*:echo -tml $iif(#,#,$nick) [[ $+ $nick $+ ]] $1- | haltdef
ON *:INPUT:*:if (/* !iswm $1-) { echo -tam [[ $+ $me $+ ]] $1- | .msg $active $1- | halt }

That changes the separator to [ and ] ([[ and ]] is needed in script). Other script caveats apply. I should also reiterate that this is by no means a "complete" example. You may want to handle $inpaste or $ctrlenter in on input.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #205139 14/10/08 01:56 AM
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
That worked, but can you make it so it does it to your nick too?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
As you would see your nick, yes, you would have to use something similar to the examples already given, but use the ON INPUT event, rather than the ON TEXT event. Note: This will not affect how others see your nick.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
The on input event in my example should do just that.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I agree that this has been requested so many times that it would really be ridiculous not to add it. It would also be better to have this option built-in than to have to resort to using some lame, bloated theme script just for this.

RoCk #205153 14/10/08 07:08 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Seconded.
This thingie is a very popular wish... We (scripters) tend to forget about the fact that 99% of mIRCs users are chatters only, not hobby programmers. smile
"We" are embracing every new scripting feature that comes allong but it's a mIRC feature suggestions board. For "us" it's quite easy to script, "we" might hardly benefit of it.
Average users will.

argv0 #205157 14/10/08 07:41 PM
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
Originally Posted By: argv0
The on input event in my example should do just that.

Yeah, I thought it would too, but there's something wrong with the code, since it isn't working. And thank you all your help with this.

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
Works ok for me on mIRC 6.34.

Horstl #205183 15/10/08 07:05 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
The problem with nick brackets as an option alone is that it's far too simplistic.

There are so many other "such small" things people would love to customize (colorize nick, colorize timestamp, colorize the nick prefix only, use more complex text surrounding a nickname).. Should Khaled add every single possibility of the above?

I'd propose a more extensible solution: A customizable set of lines that mirc could interpolate much like the way Winamp can customize the titlebar field. This would allow *complete* theming of mIRC for standard events; much better than just "nick brackets". For instance, you would have a list of text fields that define the default interpolation mIRC uses on each line (for most events) the same way mIRC handles the dclick/sclick events in Alt+O -> Mouse. The user would be able to customize things like lines of text by writing the following (example syntax) in a text field:

$timestamp <$pnick> $text

An action would be in another text field defined as:

$timestamp * $pnick $text

This would essentially be equivalent to scripting theme events but without a lot of the details of the actual script engine. For instance, dealing with proper echo syntax, haltdefing, etc, would not be necessary, nor would handling edge cases for /commands in ON INPUT. In addition, mIRC could define some custom identifiers for use in the textboxes as a shortcut for common identifiers ($nick(#,$nick).pnick -> $pnick, $1- -> $text without losing spaces) and even modify the syntax to make it easier to write (remove the need for $+ by defining a consistent character set ([A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*) for identifier names).

This would be the ideal solution that would cover all the bases and edge cases here. It's a little harder to implement, but it would actually be implementing a lot of feature suggestions at once.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
argv0 #205185 15/10/08 08:44 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Agreed. And that a "bundle/complex of features" could be implemented step by step or at one go, one day...

I just wanted to recall that - by nature - scripters do 'dominate' these boards, sharing a scripting-biased POV/approach, not representative of the average user. In addition, that often it's features like the one in question - simple, maybe trivial to a scripter - that please the latter the most. I can hardly imagine (or better: recall) mIRC without the ability to script "it" on my own - but it's worthwile to adopt that viewpoint once in a while.

Horstl #205672 28/10/08 05:08 AM
_
Babel fish
Babel fish
_
I don't agree with this idea\OP suggestion. Scripting provides mIRC with additional features not included, or possible, by regular design. "Modulular" if you will. Just like any other modular piece of software, e.g. Microsoft Office products, not every feature is included right into the product itself, but rather as add-ons. Scripts are add-ons for mIRC, and dime a dozen.

To take the view of the average user and say the possibilities of functions or features only currently available by scripting is out of the scope for the average user, is failing to see the average user is already very resourceful and accustomed to seeking out add-ons to their software.

To completely satisfy everyone, the internal theme support would need be able to supercede the community efforts behind MTS, in my opinion. Not format-wise (read: not the standard itself <-- for those that take things out of context, *wink wink*), but the issues addressed and developed around.

I would much rather see mIRC move forward to a more plugin based platform, and modularize features, existing & future. Even if it wasn't an open system for all, just "official plugins" released by Khaled that extended the feature base to mIRC. DLLs were a great step towards this dream, but I think further strides could be made that push mIRC (and the community) to a more accessible state for all users alike and secure it's future.

vexed2 #219478 20/03/10 03:45 AM
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
Originally Posted By: vexed2
Works ok for me on mIRC 6.34.

Sorry for beating a dead horse, but it code doesn't work for me on mIRC 6.35.

Code:
ON ^*:TEXT:*:*:echo -tml $iif(#,#,$nick) [[ $+ $nick $+ ]] $1- | haltdef
ON *:INPUT:*:if (/* !iswm $1-) { echo -tam [[ $+ $me $+ ]] $1- | .msg $active $1- | halt }

The one above.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
The code works for me under mirc 6.35. Perhaps your remote has been off.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Did you add that to a NEW script file (File>New)? It sounds more like you're triggering a similar on input from the same file causing this one not to trigger. Remotes being off won't be the problem if the on text works.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard