mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Riamus2 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Ok... here is my problem and I know I've mentioned it in years past...

I have the Japanese code pages installed on my computer. Because of that, my computer displays the control codes differently than normal. For example, rather than seeing unfilled squares for each code, I see different symbols... ctrl-b and ctrl-k are both L shaped things (one right side up, one upside down). ctrl-o is a star-like character (kind of like a full height *). That is all fine... it doesn't really affect anything.

The problem is ctrl-u. Ctrl-u is displayed as a space. This means that I can't use ctrl-u in scripts because they don't understand what it is (scripts assume it's a normal space). I've done a workaround with a script by making users do ctrl-r instead of ctrl-u because that symbol works fine and ctrl-r isn't really used for anything anymore (it used to be reverse).

So, my "feature" request is that there is an secondary character that is accepted for ctrl-u and perhaps other characters. Perhaps have a setting in options, where you check it if you have the Japanese code pages loaded. Then, when you press those ctrl-keys, you get the alternate symbol displayed and anyone using your script wouldn't need that set because mIRC accepts both original and alternate ctrl-code characters. It really would only change how things are entered.

One thing that would need to be added with it is that if you do a statement such as to check what a user entered... if ($did(134) == Ctrl-b) { do this } , then what I put as an alternate for ctrl-b in that if statement would also be true if the original ctrl-b symbol was entered by a user who didn't use the alternate symbols.

If this doesn't make sense, feel free to ask questions. It took me a long time to figure out that it was the code page that caused this problem. It's rather troublesome at times.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
It shouldn't matter how the ctrl+u character is displayed, it should still underline text. When I install foreign language support it's completely invisible, ie. it doesn't put a space there, so I can't see it at all, but it still underlines text.

R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
I have the same issue, however, ctrl+u doesn't show up as a space at all. It shows up as something unseeable. As in, it's zero width. So if you have two .<underline><underline>. if your cursor is before the first ., you press right, it moves past the first period, if you press right again, it doesn't look like it has moved. If you press right again, same as before, it doesn't look like it has moved. However pressing it again will make it go past the second period.

ctrl+u does work, it's just displayed as a 0width( and height? ) character.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
this is indeed an annoying problem which has been reported as a bug several times before...

I myself suffer from the same problem :-/

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
X
x64 Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
X
Just use a different combination (for example Ctrl+Backspace) and use scripting to replace it with the correct code $chr(22) when you hit enter.

Riamus2 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Here's the problem, however...

It's fine if I'm just typing something out and I want it to display as underlined. That works fine.

The problem I have is that if, for example, I want a user to enter formatting information and I want to store it to a settings file and then recover it later, it won't work regardless if I use INI or TXT. I know TXT doesn't support control codes, but you can use $replace to change them to something else and then change them back when you load them back into the script later.

What happens is that the script says that the invisible ctrl-u character isn't ctrl-u anymore. It treats it as a space or something else. Therefore, if I am using the Japanese code pages, I cannot write a script that uses Ctrl-U in it if I want it to save the ctrl-u to a file and then load it back again. If the script was written by someone else, it works fine, even if I can't see the ctrl-u... it's something with how the code page affects how I enter a ctrl-u. mIRC accepts it fine on the command line or even on a simple /msg command in a script, but not when you're saving settings and reloading them. And, as I said, this doesn't work even if you're changing the ctrl-u to another character and saving that, then changing it back to ctrl-u afterwards. It just doesn't work.

The only way I can avoid that problem is to tell users to use another ctrl-code combination (I've had them use Ctrl-R) for underlining. I can then replace the ctrl-R with ctrl-U when loading settings and that works fine. Don't ask me why one method works and the other doesn't... it's something to do with the character being used... I think it treats it as a $null or something at times... not really sure. Anyhow, telling people to use another ctrl-code combination instead of ctrl-u for underlining is rather troublesome for them.

AFAIK, the only ctrl-code that this affects is ctrl-u. Therefore, I would really like to see an alternate character that can be used for ctrl-u that works like I mentioned above (where it's accepted for everyone, right alongside the current character). See above for how I mentioned it working.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard