Print Thread
#166470 11/12/06 11:46 AM
E
Elva Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
looking for a way to retrieve data via a browser and read that back to irc.

what I want is a script that will load or refresh a page in a browser and read back data from that page, then msg a channel to report specifically what has changed.

/run has a switch to automatically minimuze the window.
/url has the switch to open a link in an existing window.
Is there a way I can do both?

I have found a script that reads from a cookie file, so assuming that works I dont need to figure that out for myself, but what I still dont know is where firefox stores its cookies... anyone can tell me where to look?

smile
thanks for any help.

Warning: noob on the loose
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Is there some reason you want to do this through your browser? Using sockets, you can easily retrieve web pages right through mIRC. Or, if the website is yours and you want to track new items and changes, you might consider adding an RSS feed to the site and then using an RSS reading script.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
E
Elva Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
its not my site.
connecting via a browser is the difference between keeping the people who run the site happy and pissing them off.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, I'm not sure how you'd do it through a browser. It may be possible with COM objects, but I'm not sure that you'd even be able to do it that way.

Maybe just use sockets and then just pop the browser open onto the page as well. As a note, the site owners probably won't even know if you used sockets instead of your browser if you send standard browser information when connecting to the site.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
E
Elva Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
thankyou

Link Copied to Clipboard