Print Thread
#114718 17/03/05 09:05 AM
N
nils Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
N
Ok, I have a really strange error that I haven't found anywhere else on this thread.

My mIRC won't connect unless the mIRC folder is put in another specific folder and is named mIRC. This isn't a problem when I do my usual chatting. Now I'm experimenting a little with a bot, but to run this bot and have the possibility to test it I have to connect to mIRC from two different folders (right?). One for my own user and one for the bot. This is not possible. The error message I get is:

* Connect retry #96 elsene.be.eu.undernet.org (6668)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Socket is not connected)
-
* Connect retry #97 193.254.240.246 (6668)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Socket is not connected)
-

and so on...

I've tried to delete and reinstall several times but the same error occurs. It's not because of the bot, it doesn't matter if scripts are used or not. I'm not using firewalls. I've tried many different servers. All goes fine with my original mIRC, but the mIRC which is in "wrong" folder can never connect.

I'm using mIRC 6.16 and winxp.

Does anyone have an idea?

#114719 25/03/05 07:04 PM
D
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
D
I have the exact same problem, however with a new install. I recently rebuilt my computer, however instead of installing xchat (xchat.sf.net), a friend of mine urged me to install mIRC. Unfortunately, I have never gotten it to work.

I get the same:
[13:29] * Connecting to Netfire.tx.us.gamesurge.net (6667)
-
[13:30] * Unable to connect to server (Software caused connection abort)
-
[13:30] * Connect retry #1 Kanzi.ca.us.gamesurge.net (6667)
-
-
[13:30] * Connect retry #2 65.19.161.10 (6667)
-
-

messages that the parent poster was getting. I am trying to run 6.16 on Windows XP SP2. I have gotten the same error message even after forwarding ports 113, and 6667-7000 on my router, and disabling windows' firewall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#114720 25/03/05 10:20 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Unfortunately, DT_Sasquatch, this is a problem that occurs a lot with systems running mIRC 6.16 and Windows XP (with or without service packs)..While I see that you have tried some of the suggestions made other locations, you might want to review 10053 Error

#114721 25/03/05 10:27 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Nils: In order for your system to correctly recognize to running copies of mIRC, you have to install them separtely(sp?). Installing one to a folder (which you can specify), then copying the information to another folder, and then changing the files inside the folder for your bot (as an example) will not always work. I don't know why, but I do know that I had that problem until I did a dual installation of mIRC, one to my main folder (for my client), and one to my bots folder. Additionally, I found that there can also be problems if the second installation is off of the first installation folder, so what I did was the first installation to c:\mIRC, then the 2nd installation to c:\mIRCbot

Since then I've had no problems with running a bot and my own client on the same system, BTW: I've now been running a bot for nearly a year with this configuration.

Link Copied to Clipboard