Print Thread
P
Peabody Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
P
But not at the same time.

I've just set up a LAN using a new Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 wireless router. I have two computers on the LAN, and I want to be able to run mirc from either computer, but not at the same time. If possible, I want to avoid having to change the port forwarding table in the router each time I change computers.

So far, I have no ports forwarded, and it's working ok on one server that I use a lot. But I suspect that's only because that server doesn't do an identd request. And of course I haven't even tried DCC.

While I know that the 1024-5000 range can be changed and set to different ranges on the two computers, as well as 6667, it appears that even though 59 and 113 are changeable in the settings, they really need to be 59 and 113 to work right.

Is it possible to have two forwarding entries forwarding the same port to both computers? Assuming my router would let me do that, what would happen?

Otherwise, is there any way to make this work automatically without changing the forwarding table each time?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If the manufacturer's site can't help you with this, and it's a matter of setting up the ports through your router, then the best site that I've come across for things like this is Portforward.com

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You cannot forward the same port to multiple computers. Note that connecting to a network shouldn't require any ports to be forwarded (ie. don't bother forwarding ports 6667 or whatever). You usually need to forward the identd port (113) and port(s) you are going to use for DCC. Port 59 usually doesn't need forwarded.

In the end, only the identd port could give you problems. You can set DCC ports to different ones and even if, for some reason, you need the connection ports forwarded (like 6667), you can connect through a specific port on one computer and another on the other computer (forwarding 1 or 2 ports to each computer).

As for the identd port, just use networks that don't require it for the computer that doesn't have that port forwarded. Also note that some networks require it on some servers, but not on others, so you may want to try multiple servers on the same network to see if any of them don't require identd.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard