Print Thread
#136069 22/11/05 03:43 PM
T
t3ht0m3 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
Okay, firstly I'd like to clarify I'm quite the internet noobie and genrally computer illiterate, so you may have ot bear with me.

I'd like some help connecting to IRC. I've downloaded and installed IRC, but whenever I try to connect to a server I get the following error message:

* Unable to connect to server (Connection attempt timed out)

After this the server will re-try the connect but after in excess of 10 re-trys it still doens't connect. I know my firewall (Norton internet security) isn't blocking it as I made sure, I'm almost certain I haven't missed anything when setting the IRC options up.

Help me! frown

#136070 23/11/05 12:33 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
What kind of connection are you using? Some DSL & Cable modems have firewall and/or router settings, which you would have to set correctly in order to connect. Likewise if you're using a router on a LAN (local area network). It might also be that you happened to hit a busy server, so it couldn't connect...next time try a different server, or even a different network and see what happens.

#136071 24/11/05 04:55 PM
T
t3ht0m3 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
I'm using AOL broadband, 512KB.. not sure, but could this be causing the problem?

Link Copied to Clipboard