#74556 09/03/04 10:05 AM
A
aspirin Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
A
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible tham identity does not show up when someone uses /whois or /who command. My IP address is constant, but the problem is the following:

when someone asks /whois ... , my HOME address appears and practically everyone knows where I live. Is there some way that I can change this? It would be much better if (instead of my home address) my IP address would be returned in response of /whois command.

Thanx a lot in advance!

#74557 09/03/04 10:12 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If the server resolves your hostname there's nothing you can do about it I'm afraid. You cannot make it not resolve it.

Check out the network's #Help channel and see if the network you use supports vhosts - some networks do, so that when you set a mode (usually +x) your hostname/IP will be covered up with something like "users.network.org".

If they don't (and most don't) then you might look into purchasing a shell account with a BNC/vhost package of some sort. I can't suggest any personally, but search Google.

Hostnames shouldn't (to the best of my knowledge) give out your exact home address. Mine is fairly revealing, it gives an abbreviated version of the town I am in (stev3-3-0-cust174.lutn where stev is Stevenage, the town I actually live in, and .lutn being Luton, a town near here). Still, although I don't personally care, I can completely understand why some do - but the above two suggestions are the only real options I can think of.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard