mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
dweez Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
D
The recent announcement regarding the Heartbleed vulnerability has got me checking my systems to make sure all my apps that use OpenSSL are up to date. One of the things I was doing was updating my nMap install (on Windows Server 2012 R2). While updating it, a popup appeared stating that it couldn't update libeay32.dll because it was currently in use. Process Explorer showed me that it was currently being used by mirc.exe.

I'm currently using the mIRC portable (latest version, 7.32) and have no full overlay scripts installed (just some of my own script snippets). I currently have OpenSSL installed to c:\Openssl32 and have added it to the %PATH%. The nMap install path is also included in the %PATH% list after OpenSSL's entry.

My questions are...Why is mIRC using the nMap dll? And what can I do to make it use the files at c:\OpenSSL32?

I figure I can just drop the files into the mIRC directory and then it'd be done, but I figured mention it here my be worth to the developer(s).

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
Libeay32.dll is used by mIRC to connect to SSL IRC servers. Even though it may not be 'currently' using the DLL (as in, maintaining a connection) I believe mIRC initializes the dll routines at startup to speed up SSL connections later on.

I'm not sure how to get mIRC to use the openSSL DLL in your C:\ directory, but placing a copy of the dll in the same directory as mIRC.exe should force mIRC to use that dll instead of falling back to libeay32.dll or looking in the system folder for an openSSL dll

---

Edited to expand on 'portable'":
mIRC 'portable' mode just means mIRC will use the directory its stored in to reference, save and/or load mIRC specific files(scripts, config, etc). mIRC still has dependencies that are included with Windows, or that Windows Abstracts. IE: GUI elements, SSL, etc.

That is to say, "Portable Mode" does not mean a copy of everything mIRC needs to function will be included with the installation.

Last edited by FroggieDaFrog; 17/04/14 09:28 PM.

I am SReject
My Stuff

Link Copied to Clipboard