Print Thread
#210330 11/03/09 07:30 PM
T
Tsp Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
T
Is there a way to get rid of the notice that mIRC sends to every person I attempt to dcc send/chat with? I find it quite annoying that the client is automatically sending it along with the expected ctcp DCC. Is there a particular reason why it is there and doesn't appear to have an off switch?

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
no there isnt. it is for security reasons. why should you be able to send a dcc without the other person even knowing? this will not be changed, no switch will be added either. any way this is part of the IRC RFC, the message will get sent and the other person's irc client will let them know as well, im sure.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I highly doubt you have the right to respond to this question with such certainty, since you have no authority over the change process. Khaled will be the one to decide if "this will not get changed"; until then, there's no reason besides the RFC to make that statement..

On a sidenote, MOTD which is also specified in the RFC can be silenced via a switch, so going on precedence, I see no reason why this can't be the case for DCC. The security claim can be (and already is) dealt with in other ways.

edit:
Also, as pointed out by starbucks, DCC isn't even part of the IRC RFC, so most of this discussion is moot anyway

Last edited by argv0; 11/03/09 08:48 PM.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
DCC are not part of the IRC rfc, "Direct Client to Client"

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
maybe it isnt part of the RFC but there is no reason any one would need the message removed. I sure as hell dont want someone to -not- send me a message letting me know they are sending me a dcc assuming mirc wount tell me otherwise) regardless i dont think it needs/should/will (to) be changed.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
maybe it isnt part of the RFC but there is no reason any one would need the message removed. I sure as hell dont want someone to -not- send me a message letting me know they are sending me a dcc assuming mirc wount tell me otherwise) regardless i dont think it needs/should/will (to) be changed.

Of course mIRC would still tell you - it still needs to ask you to accept (unless you have auto-accept on which is your own damn fault).

The OP's point is that because of that fact there's really no need for the notice at all.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia
The OP's point is that because of that fact there's really no need for the notice at all.

then that is for the receiving party to decide not the sending party.

Last edited by MTec007; 11/03/09 11:33 PM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
That makes no sense. You're saying it's for the recipient to decide whether the sender should send a notice?

I'm not sure you're getting what we're talking about here. When you initiate a DCC connection mIRC sends the DCC message and also sends a notice. The DCC connection message is all the recipient needs - the client can notify the user, ask him what to do, hell it can even play a song and do a dance if the user configures it that way. So what good is an extra notice? Probably not a great deal. It's not that unreasonable for it to be optional if it needs to be present at all.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
it should be optional for mirc to display the message when it is received, not optional to send the message along with the dcc request.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Why? The notice is entirely superfluous to the dcc initiation.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
and you dont think people will be able to create security problems if this is added? i sure hope you're right

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
What security problems could arise? Right now mIRC does two separate things when you start a dcc connection using /dcc or via the GUI:
1) Initiates a DCC connection
2) Sends a notice to the recipient essentially saying "I've initiated a DCC connection"

Number 2 is entirely redundant. The recipient already knows he's received a DCC request because he got the actual DCC request (obviously) and his client reacted in whatever way he configured it to do so (ask, ignore, accept, etc.). Why does he need a notice telling him something he already knows? I don't see how security is even relevant to this.

Link Copied to Clipboard