Print Thread
R
Rizor Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
R
Just recently got a new computer.
It seems that whenever I try to DCC get through port 59, my internet connection goes dead within the next minute. Never happened before on my old computer.

Router still detects that the wire is connected.
Computer still hasn't lost the ip from the router.
Other computer connecting to router still works.
Tried plugging into my other network plug, doesn't work.
Tried switching to my wifi, doesn't work.
Sometimes it might recover the connection after an hour or two. But most of the time it doesn't recover until I restart the computer.

I'm fairly sure its not just my network card, since I've tested this 5+ times, and it always happens within the next minute after I start the DCC get.

Some specs:
mIRC: ver 6.21
Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Ethernet: Onboard

T
twr Offline
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
T
Do you have a Marvell Yukon ethernet controller? I had the same problem and found that the driver needed updating beyond what windows update had. If you think that's your problem, go to their website and search for the newest driver for xp. It worked for me. The zip file for it is named yk51x86_v86123 . Good luck.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Uh... a bit of advice...

Although Windows Update does occasionally have driver updates for various hardware, it is ALWAYS better to only download driver updates from the manufacturer's website and to not rely on Windows Update to tell you that one is available. Check regularly for updates to the main hardware that you have. By main, I mean stuff that you should keep updated. For example, video cards are a major item to keep updated. Motherboard drivers, on the other hand, don't usually need updated unless something isn't working correctly.

The only time I would recommend using a driver that Windows Update gives you for some non-Microsoft hardware (or software) would be if you're having issues with the item and the manufacturer's site doesn't have updated drivers.

Remember that the drivers provided by Windows (even on the installation CD) are NOT usually the best drivers to use. You should always use the manufacturer's drivers instead. Most installation guides tell you to cancel Windows' hardware installation screen and to use the provided disk instead.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
T
twr Offline
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
T
By "their" website, I meant Marvell Yukon's (not M$)... not sure if that was clear in my posting.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I was responding to "updating beyond what windows update had".

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Rizor Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
R
Thanks for the help, I think its working now.
And thank you for the advice, I'll be sure to keep that in mind from now on.

Link Copied to Clipboard