mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#164062 07/11/06 10:31 PM
E
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
E
Help! I can't seem to get connected to any servers. Could someone help me please? I'm running Windows XP, I've just downloaded the last mIRC 6.2, and I am getting this 'unable to resolve server' error over and over again.

TIA!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This is most likely being caused by a router or a firewall that is blocking mIRC from connecting to the servers. I'd bet on it being a firewall because you shouldn't have to set a router up to connect to a server... just to DCC or send identd info. If you have XP, turn off Windows Firewall and see if that helps. If you have any other firewalls, turn them off. Once you find out what is blocking the connection, you can set mIRC up in the firewall settings so that it can connect while the firewall is running. Keep in mind that if you are at college or work, you may not be able to connect at all because they may be running a firewall that prevents you from connecting.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
E
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
E
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I am on my home computer so there is no work/school firewall.

Interestingly enough, I just checked and the firewall is off already. Any other suggestions? Thank you!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Try connecting to the IP address for a server instead of the host name, or try using another port instead of 6667. Try various networks. Check if you have a router and if it is the cause. That particular error is caused when you can't connect because something is blocking the connection (or you have no internet connection). I'm assuming you have the internet connection, so it would need to be a port blocking issue.

You could also try connecting using one of the many web-based IRC clients. I think Undernet has one on its website. If it doesn't connect there, then you know it's a port being blocked and not mIRC.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard