Print Thread
#96690 04/09/04 02:12 PM
N
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
N
Hoi, I have a major problem.

I am using mIRC to play my mp3 files with a script I wrote. It used to work like a charm with nothing weird going on but now since I reinstalled windows all mp3 files sound weird when played. It's kind of hard to describe how it sounds but on bass drums its like distorted bongo drums.

So I figured this must be a codec problem and I figured mIRC just went to use whatever codec windows media player uses as well. So I went over my list of mp3 codecs and there was only one, Frauenhofer or something. Anyways I tried uninstalling that and installing another codec. This has had no effect whatsoever so I'm stumped.

I am running windows xp sp1 and the funny thing is that mediaplayer plays my mp3s just dandy and so does winamp (which comes with own codecs).

I guess my question is, where does mirc get the codec it uses to play the mp3's and how can I change it so that everything doesn't sound like... you know.

Thank you

#96691 04/09/04 03:05 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
This is probably something you should ask the authors of the script about, since mIRC doesn't contain scripts to play MP3s to my knowledge. Still, it sounds a bit odd that a script should be the source of the problem.

Good luck!

#96692 04/09/04 08:02 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
try using /run filename.mp3 instead of /play

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
#96693 13/09/04 11:22 AM
N
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
N
I wrote the scrip it has nothing to do with a script like I said in my original post. /run would only launch the default program for handling mp3's which in my case is winamp and both winamp and mediaplayer plays mp3's without any weird distortion in sound.

Isn't there someone here who would actually know how mIRC plays the mp3 files? I'm starting to think mIRC has it's own built in codec, could I be right about that?
Before you dismiss that thought let me say that uninstalling all my mp3 codecs didn't do anything, mIRC still played (unlike mediaplayer) and still with the weird distortion.

Come on, don't make me try and mail khaled grin

#96694 13/09/04 12:11 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
mIRC merely passes the job on, if you do not have WMP or Winamp, or something that has a codec that can play mp3s mIRC wont be able to play them.

Eamonn.

Link Copied to Clipboard