Print Thread
#78134 05/04/04 11:59 PM
C
ChrisS Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
If I create a channel and then log off I find that someone else can use that channel name. Whats'more if I then join that channel I am no longer the operator. Is there a way to create a channel so that only I and whoever I allow can join it?

#78135 06/04/04 12:14 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This depends on whether the network you use has channel Services or not. Some networks, but not many of the big ones, have a service called 'ChanServ' which registers your channel so only you and people you want can get access to the channel. DALnet is the biggest network that supports this.

Some other networks have other channel services, Quakenet and Undernet have channel service bots. Unfortunately, channel service bots cannot be put in your channel because you want them to be, you have to meet certain conditions and registration is not just given out freely.

Some networks, such as EFnet and IRCNet have NO channel services - meaning anyone is free to use a channel when ever they wish. However, like unregistered channel owners on Undernet/Quakenet, they use "Eggdrop" bots that can give them ops when they want, and they purchase shells to host the eggdrop bots on so they are online 24/7. Many ops will also idle in the channel a lot so it's 99% of the time possible to get opped. For more information on shell accounts, search www.google.com or www.ask.com.

If I haven't mentioned the network you use above, you'll need to ask in the #Help channel of the network and see what services, if any, they provide. If I did mention your network above, then you still need to go to #Help for further information about registering a channel or getting an eggdrop. You might also look at your network's website - if you don't know the address the #Help channel will know, or alternatively, search Google.

If you're on your own however, and when you join only you are in the channel, then you're going to find it hard to maintain the channel, even with an eggdrop or two. Unfortunately, some networks do not sympathise with you and you are expected to deal with the "First come, first serve" policy they have, or choose another network.

Hope this has been informative smile

P.S. If you are an EFnet user, they do have 'CHANFIX' - more information here.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#78136 06/04/04 11:36 PM
C
ChrisS Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
Thanks Mentality, that was very informative laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard