mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#249402 27/11/14 09:57 PM
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
I have just installed mIRC version 7.38 and it doesn't render Unicode characters properly- please see this screen-shot- http://i62.tinypic.com/29qbg35.png - is there a solution to this problem?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The nicknames in that channel nickname list are not using Unicode (UTF-8), they are using codepages.

mIRC has been a Unicode application since mIRC v7.0, which was released in 2010, around five years ago. It fully supports Unicode, only sends and receives UTF-8, and does not support codepages.

If you are seeing codepage-based text from other users, this means that those users have not enabled UTF-8 in their clients, which they should, or that the server you are connected to is using codepages, which they should not.

Please note that this issue has been discussed many times. You can find posts on this topic, such as this one, this one, and this one, by using the forums search feature to look for "unicode" or "codepage".

Khaled #249413 28/11/14 10:08 AM
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
Thanks for the detailed explanation, I also read your post 'mIRC v7.1 languages and codepages' and I think I understand where the problem is and that there is no workaround when connecting via mIRC to servers which use codepages. I agree that codepages belong to the past and that your decision to dump support for codepages is (more or less) right. Yet I have the impression that still many local servers use codepages. I just wonder wouldn't it be more flexible if mIRC adds some support on demand for codepages by external modules (which enable codepages support) or this won't be possible because of the current design of mIRC.

Last edited by smaragdus; 28/11/14 10:09 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard