mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
esouths Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
E
I was recently informed, or suggested by a fellow EFnet user that the Invision 2.0 script for mirc contains a keylogger.. I am certainly skeptical myself, but he said he knew one of the developers of the script, who claimed that he had information retrieved by this keylogger. I myself use Invision 2.0 and it is very worrisome that this script could potentially endanger the security of my computer. The person who told me of this could be pulling my leg, but with all of these malicious scripts and programs floating around, I can't help but be paranoid..

I don't know anything about scripting, so could someone please look into this for me? Thanks.

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Best rule you can follow:

Never run a script you can't read and understand.

(This translates to "never run any script until you at least learn the language".)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
No, it does not. I and others have been supporting this script for years and would have found such a thing by now. And, besides, there is only *1* developer of the script (cRYOa). There are 3 who still maintain it and offer unofficial patches to it and answer questions on the forum and in the Invision channel listed at the bottom of this post (XMog, L|B, and myself).

The only way there would be a keylogger would be if someone modified the script. I would warn you that there are versions of Invision (and other scripts) out there that have been modified to include things that you probably don't want. Always download scripts from approved locations and be wary of any you don't trust.

The official place to get Invision from is http://www.i-n-v-i-s-i-o-n.com/ and the forum there tells you where you can get the latest patch.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
E
esouths Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
E
ok, thanks for clearing that up Riamus2.. I was getting a bit worried.. Also, FNar, thanks for the advice, but I'll just stick to being the average user. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard