mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#10689 11/02/03 08:03 PM
T
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
Hi everyone. I'm new to this mIRC program and I'm not sure what to do. I've read the whole website twice and I still can't figure out how to do this. What I want to know how to do is receive/get files from someone. I heard about mIRC on a website that said they use this program to send video files to other people and I wanted to get the videos from them. How do I do this? I know how to get into the room that I want and I see people pop up with the name of the video files and everything but I don't know what I suppose to do to get them. I've tried to click on the file name but that doesn't work and I've also tried to PM them and ask them what to do but they never respond. Am I suppose to tell them that I'd like to download the file from them are what? If you could help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Well before I say anything let me give you the lecture about filesharing with mIRC:

1. Not a safe way of getting files from someone i.e. you are putting yourself at risk of receiving a virus or a trojan.
2. There are other applications that are much better for this purpose i.e. Kazaa, Morpheus, iMesh etc...
3. On here people will bite your head off for even using mIRC for that purpose other than is primary use i.e. Chatting.

now i personally would not use mIRC for this purpose cause I have learned my lesson. ok now have you tried the following:

1. Downloaded mIRC im assuming yes.
2. File>Options>Click on DCC>Select the folders option> in the DCC ignore field assuming you know what the file extension is, Click on the Blank drop down box next to the "ADD" button check to see if the file extension is listed. If not you will input it in that blank box by typing *.extensionhere [color:red]example: *.exe [/color] as soon as you type the extension you want click ADD

or

3. type /dccallow +yourfriendsnickhere
4. Read any of the sticky threads at the top of the forum first?

try these and see if they help but keep in mind what i stated first....

Last edited by The_Game; 11/02/03 08:17 PM.
T
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
The_Game- Thanks for the help. Now that you've scared the poo outta me, I think I'll just stick with Kazaa for file sharing..*lol* But thanks again for replying.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Thats what i use....tends to be safer for me...but i just thought id give ya a fair warning ...that and save you the trouble getting multiple posts on how its not a good idea...but i do what i can ta help..

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
wise decision...altho i have to warn you that you can get trojans elsewhere too. Any time you accept a file from a total stranger you are putting yourself at risk. /me hopes you have a good virus scanner and keep it updated even tho thats not a guarantee by any means.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard