mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#229917 20/02/11 12:30 AM
I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
A little over 10 years ago I used to chat on irc alot. So now here I am and I'd like to chat again. I've forgotten almost everything I learned back then. One thing I do remember was that I never used to get a bunch of private messages all at once from 5 or more different nicks telling me if i don't leave the chat room then my computer will be infected with viruses. Not sure that that can happen but it is annoying. I want to know what,why, and how this is done so i can avoid it. I'm guessing it is some kind of script. Any help will be appreciated.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You can't just be infected by viruses by joining channels. You have to accept files and then execute them for that kind of thing to happen. This is all assuming you're using the latest version of mIRC (7.17), of course, and have other security programs in place to protect you if you need it.

You can ignore these people. They are likely doing it to every user who joins in order to scare them. It looks like they've succeeded with you.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
There are a number of Private query blockers that have been scripted and will handle things like this.
Basically how they work is that they block pm/query messages from all users unless you have pre-authorized the user.
Some will allow you to decide if you want to allow the user upon receipt of their first message.

You can look for these scripts on sites like Hawkee, mIRC.net, mIRCScripts.org

If you just want to completely ignore any and all private messages, then you can simply do /ignore -pw *!*@*

The p switch makes it ignore private messages, and the w switch makes it for all networks. If you don't specify the w switch, then you will only ignore private messages on your currently active network.

BTW: People can't infect your computer remotely for you not leaving a room. You would have to accept a file transfer from them first.
If (and I doubt this) a channel op tells you to leave and you don't, then they have the authority and ability to kick and/or ban you from the channel. Most ops will ask you to leave via a post in the channel, and I don't know of any channel op that would resort to threatening virus infection if you didn't leave.

H
Babel fish
Babel fish
H
Sometimes, those annoying people can be dealt with if you notify the channel ops. Also, depending on the network, while that is not their primary function, sometimes the server opers will help in getting rid of such annoyances. Of course, a lot will depend on which channel(s) this is happening in. As with any strange neighborhood, use caution where you go and always make sure your surroundings are well lit. wink

Last edited by Handle_With_Care; 20/02/11 09:25 PM.

mIRC 7.51, 64-bit Win-7/SP1 Home Premium
IRC Operator irc.Prison.NET
I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
one thing I forgot to mention was that the first nick to display the annoying PM is always crudebot, followed by a few other nicks. thanks to all

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You should give that information to the opers on the network, not us. We don't administrate the IRC network you were on.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
F
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
F
hi
i've got hte same problem todeay!

in my case, it whas at Dalnet - the channel whas: #allnitecafe and the "OP" - or whatever that really whas.. is named "@crudebot"

-Is that similiar to your connection? / server / channel?

I,ve got the same, with a few more users, ho send me the same "virus-massage"! first one - and than more and more and more

P.S.
while i got that damned "virus - massages" i recognised, that my antivirus whas running very fast.... and there suddenly whas running constantly a rundll 32 !!! so: whatch it!

I try to clean my system now!

kindly regards

Last edited by Ftmmsch; 30/03/11 08:51 AM.
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Again, no one can infect you on IRC just because you do what IRC is meant for (connect to IRC networks, join channels, chat with people).
You would have to download harmful files, or execute harmful commands, or load harmful mIRC scripts to corrupt your system with mIRC/IRC.

The messages you get my be annoying - but that is all. They are generated by immature users or automated "bots", with the sole purpose to bother or bully other users. Why would anyone tell you that he is about to infect your system? It does not make any sense, it's just to show off.

You may ignore the messages, or you may contact the operators of that IRC network and report the issue (/join #help).

In addition, please re-read the entire thread, especially the explanation argv0 gave.

Finally, rundll32.exe is an essencial part of your windows operating system. It's a vital system process and it is used for a great many things. To see it "constantly running" is perfectly normal.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
* Now talking in #allnitecafe
* Topic is 'ALLNITECAFE - ENGLISH ONLY - To Stop Flooding/Spam/Virus msgs try /mode YOURNICK +R....

Gee, they even tell you how to fix the problem right in the topic.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard