Print Thread
#184791 01/09/07 04:49 PM
B
bubazoo Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
It said in the latestnews, that a U3 version of mIRC exists, is that true? and if so, where is it? I don't see instructions for downloading it anyplace on here.

I would actually prefer portableapps myself, but I have 2 different sticks, one has got U3 on it, the other has portableapps on it. I usually use the portableapps stick the majority of the time though

thanks

I am legally blind. I don't mind talking about it, but please, no negativity. thank you.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I believe using mIRC with the -portable switch makes it U3... though I'm not entirely sure.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
B
bubazoo Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
but, do you copy the files to a directory on the drive?
does it have an installer?

I don't get it.

because normally U3 stuff is a separate file with a .u3p extension

thats why I say, this doesn't seem to be documented

I am legally blind. I don't mind talking about it, but please, no negativity. thank you.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I don't believe the U3 installer is ready yet.

The -portable switch will have mIRC store all its settings and registry keys in the directory where mirc.exe is located, so you can either manually copy the files to your flash drive or install mIRC there [on your own computer] then create a shortcut to start mIRC in portable mode.

B
bubazoo Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
oh i see, its not ready yet. ok, gotcha.

a suggestion to the developers though,
a portableapps installer would be nice to have, as well, for those who prefer the portableapps method. just because everyone has their own preference.

guess u could create a shortcut, but then it wouldn't be in the menu system, which would defeat the purpose of having it portable IMHO smile

T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
Yeh, I've made a "Loader" which really just loads $mircexe -portable.

Just comes in handy... Then I dont have to worry about files everywhere, I think all programs should be portable :P

If you want the loader. add me to MSN (It should be in my profile)

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
B
bubazoo Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
I agree.

Its just, I goto several locations, where some of these places are public places that prohibit installing new software or icons and things like that smile

I'm a student, lets put it that way, majoring in Computer Networking at the moment. Just a local community college.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
According to the PortableApps website you can add programs to the menu by placing the .exe file in the appropriate directory and having it rebuild the list.

Link Copied to Clipboard