mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
I was banned for asking politely why a another person was banned...that other person didnt do anything offensive and didnt break any rules...
I find it unfair and abusive on the ops part.
I think there should be a solution to this illogical abuse
What do you think?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Unfortunately, there is no provision for this sort of indiscriminate banning in channels. Unless it's a clean cut case of breaking network rules, channel ops can do what they like in their own channels.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#17579 31/03/03 01:07 PM
C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
Yes, but due to that the op had a negative attitue that day, i have lost many a good friends i made on that channel, i seriously think mirc should go over their banning policy.
I would like to take this to higher grounds....when personal insult has been used by the op (calling me moron) i think something else than stting with crossed arms should be done.

#17580 31/03/03 01:09 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
mIRC is a chat client. It has nothing to do with how channels or networks are run. You need to take it up with the network admin if you feel that strongly about it. I realise it's tough being banned for something you didn't do, but it's really not anything that can be solved via mIRC or it's help forums. mIRC isn't the only way of connecting to irc servers.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Try to view it from a different angle:
Chat channels are often called rooms, let's make a visual situation out of this.
When you join a channel, you enter someone's room. That person, if he/she's not around, gave Godlike access to trusted persons and those persons are in charge of keeping the room clean. Now if that person wants to kick you because he feels like it, that's his right, even if he has no reasons to do so. I doubt the network's IRC operators will get involved in such a situation, no matter how big the channel may be, simply because a channel is a little piece of a network where specific users can act pretty much like they want to (as long as it's allowed by the network).

- cF
Dedicated helper for rent.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Rooms are usually 'owned' by those who do the kicking. You asking why someone was banned is a bit like you asking your next-door neighbour why he kicked the taxman out onto the street. Room owners are entitled to enforce the server rules in any way they please providing it is lawful. That's my view anyway. Having said that I feel that people should be treated with respect but quite often that is too much to ask. It just depends on the room and indeed the server.

If all else fails and your server supports it, make your own room and take your mates there and create a new community. grin That way you guys get to decide the destiny of where you chat.

#17583 31/03/03 06:33 PM
C
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
C
Quote:
i seriously think mirc should go over their banning policy.

LOL that's like if a bus driver orders you off his bus and you complain to the bus manufacturer
probably not a good analogy but you get the idea of how completely off track you are.

#17584 01/04/03 12:27 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
IN addition to the great replies already posted, let me say once again: mIRC is software. The author has nothing to do with any network/server/channel/ops/IRCops/admins or what rules they make. mIRC doesnt have a "banning policy". If you have a prob with a channel op, contact the founder. If you have a prob with the network, contact their admins. mIRC has nothing to do with anyone being banned or any network policies, nor can mIRC dictate how users on IRC behave. Look at it this way, if someone used MSWord to write you a letter calling you a moron, would you expect MS to do something about it?

Yes, some ppl are rude, be it in general or on a bad day. (and heaven knows we All have those) But we cant do anything about that. We cant judge whether you made a habit of doing other things that annoyed the person who kicked you, or if the person was cranky, or if they were right or wrong to do it. Nor do you have any idea of what else that user may have been doing in notice or msg that YOU didnt see but the op did, or what they may have done in the past that added to the situation. Bottom line, each channel has their own rules and can kick ppl for any reason, including none at all. Those ops really dont have any duty to answer to you or anyone else other than the founder for why they kick someone. Personally, if i were in a channel where i felt the ops judgement couldnt be trusted, or where i felt the ops were rude, i'd find another channel.

I dont know why you said you "have lost friends" over someone elses behavior... just msg them or talk to them in another channel.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard