Print Thread
#2545 19/12/02 07:17 AM
M
Mappa Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
M
Simple question with hopefully a simple answer...

Is there anyway to incorporate mIRC in a corporate network to be used by support staff globaly?

Or...is the only way this will work is to connect to an outside irc server like Dalnet?

No external (from our network) access is fine.

Thanks inadvance.

M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
You can install an IRCd server like IRCPlus or WinIRCd on your Windows based OS. For UNIX based IRC server, you may use a search engine

DALnet: #HelpDesk, #mIRC, #MISHScript - Undernet: #mIRC, #mIRC-Scripts
A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
You could install and IRCd like Merlin said, then only accept connections from *.yournet.net.

I don't believe mIRC is deployable, but it shouldn't be too hard to get it on everyone's computer.

You might also look into running a java client...

Hope this helps.

D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
First install ircd (if in your corporete using Linux/Unix suggest hybrid7). In config file add this

auth {
user = "*@*.yourcorporate.host";
class = "users";
have_ident = no;
};

You can try change *.yourcorporate.host in 127.0.0.1.
Then users can connect to /server 127.0.0.1

--
http://www.globirc.net
irc.globirc.net
M
Mappa Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
M
Thanks all. Will look into it further.

A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
Also, depending on what OS you have deployed on your network... using one of the built in chat features of Windows may not be a bad idea.

For non-XP machines: Start > Run > winpopup.exe
For XP machines: Start > Search > CHAT.exe

This IMO seems much easier, because you don't have to deploy anything, nor setup a ircd.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Why in God's name would you suggest the only 2 non-free ircds available when there are plenty of free ircds???

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
personally ive always liked the easy setup of unreal myself ...... and ur right why pay for something when u can get the same thing for free ..... as for the suggestions of winpopup and internal chat in xp ........ well ill be nice so billgates doesnt come take my os away LOL ..... shocked

D3m0nnet.com
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Because you get what you pay for, generally speaking.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Except in the case of software. Where you generally get screwed over more by the things you pay for because they've got everything they want from you already, whereas free software needs support from users shocked. But let's not start that argument.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not true. Some of the most expensive software available is available as a 30 day trial. Therefore you get the benefit of becoming acquainted with it before having to shell out for it.

*Watchdog names a few things...

Photoshop AU$1400 - Find me a fault with Photoshop, it's the best imaging software in the world. I don't know a good website anywhere containing good imaging that wasn't made with Photoshop. Tell me if you think Unix apps like Gimp come even close. Photoshop is regarded by the WWW fraternity as 'thee standard' by which all are judged.

ConferenceRoom IRCd AU$7500 - Very expensive for a 5 Meg download but once again you get to try it for 30 days first. In my view better than any freeware IRCd. As an oper on a CR based network I have seen the sheer punishment this software can handle, if installed on decent hardware nothing comes close to matching it. Compare it with the freeware Bahamuck - throw a few warbots at it and it dies but CR just says "ahhh yeah" and keeps on going. An admin that values uptime and resistance to attacks as part of their customer service programme will in light of this see $7500 as chickenfeed.

Flash. I forget the price but once again, another industry standard for that type of product. What freeware version is there? There might be one but I don't know of it. I don't like Flash based websites, but that's just an opinion. It's another example though of expensive software performing well.

Unrelated to your remarks but I'll just add this as well: When I see someone here sulk because mIRC is not ported to Unix/Linux I just laugh at the gall they have, nothing annoys me more than people who expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter. Why don't they write their own chat programme and simply make it look like mIRC. It'll never be mIRC but it would be free and perhaps not as good.

Link Copied to Clipboard