mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
If IRC "communication, about dialogue" why did you feel it necessary to lock the forum posting about this issue, this only serves to "prevent communication, and dialogue" So you want to promote talk by stoping people from talking... Am I the only one who sees the hipocracy there?

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
It was locked because the topic ended up WAY off the original post. And after about 50 posts that were obviously off topic, It was closed down. Yes it was about communication and what not but it was turning into one big political argument that wasnt originally related at all. And I think it was closed so that people wouldnt become bitter at one another. Course that may be just me but if you want to know ask Tjerk...

C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Well I see it differently, I am "bitter" over the fact that they are telling us communication is the best way to deal with hostility, yet when hostility errupts, the solution was to end the communication.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I see your point in the matter at hand...and i even agree with you to some extent. But I had to admit that subject was getting out of hand and I was actually waiting for it to close. The lot of us probably still have more to say on that issue as well. I myself have plenty more to say on that matter. But I totally agree that it hostility is resolved over communication. But the moderator that closed it probably thought that was enough communication on that subject...hence the solution. Maybe the encouragement was to argue views via the PM or something...like i said ask Tjerk about it...

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
While i can see your point, and cant speak to Krejts reasoning in locking the thread, i do agree it was time to lock it. The original post was whether Khaled and Krejt should put the link on mirc.com, and then went into pros and cons about the subject of whether or not a war should/shouldnt happen. People made many points from both sides as the high number of posts on that thread show, and it did give ppl the opportunity to see various viewpoints. That will perhaps foster the obvious need for communication in general. Actually, the fact that "hostility" arouse in some of the posts shows how much reasonable communication is needed. I would hope that ppl will carry the discussions to IRC and into IRL, and i dont think locking the thread "blocked" communication at all. Rather, to me, it said ok, ppl have a lot to say about this, now lets go use mIRC to talk about it in a productive way, to try to see others viewpoints, to communicate, to gather facts and knowledge, rather than using just this limited forum.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It was locked because the topic ended up WAY off the original post.

That was my fault. But thats because when I dispute a claim made by someone else I usually list 101 reasons why [I believe] they are wrong lol. grin

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
That was my fault. But thats because when I dispute a claim made by someone else I usually list 101 reasons why [I believe] they are wrong lol.

Well I can assure you that you cant take full responsibility cause I believe that also am part of the cause. As we have shown our points of view and the reasons at the said topic. Who'd have thunk debate class would come in handy after school LOL. grin

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
go sit in a corner ;b
both of you wink

And all I need now is intellectual intercourse, a soul to dig the hole much deeper
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
LOL! I agree with ParaBrat, it was definitely time to move on to a wider 'audience' with this one, eg IRC and RL! It's obviously such an emotive topic that will affect everyone in one way or another. I don't think it was anyone's fault in particular that it got way off topic - it was bound to, given the subject matter.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
I
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
I
The problem started when the well-meaning yet naive persons responsible for posting the information on the home page. It should have been known that it would start an emotional and disjointed thread of thoughts and opinions. To lock such a thread because it does not follow the brand of context that some people believe is as hypocritical as I have seen lately.

The can of worms was open when this site was used for personal political views and now it should be left to run it’s course.

Buy the best and cry only once
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Can I come out of the corner now? LOL

V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
Yeah.. I helped fuel it a bit myself...

It's too bad you had to try and argue semantics with me instead of sticking strictly to the topic being discussed though... ah well.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
To be frank with you, I don't care what you think. Your first sentence here is the most accurate thing you've ever said. I don't argue with people either. However if it is a debate you are after I will accomodate you any day of the week on any subject matter. If I believe strongly enough in something and am prepared to debate that point then I know for a fact that you simply cannot win. Now be a good boy and go and finish your corn flakes.

V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
Quote:
To be frank with you, I don't care what you think.
Hey... that's great... then don't reply to me.

Quote:
Your first sentence here is the most accurate thing you've ever said.
Is that supposed to be an attempt to hurt my feelings somehow? Sorry, but low blows aren't going to work on me.

Quote:
I don't argue with people either.
Funny..you argued with me.

Quote:
If I believe strongly enough in something and am prepared to debate that point then I know for a fact that you simply cannot win.
That just goes to show that you are very stubborn, not that you are right or good at debating.

Quote:
Now be a good boy and go and finish your corn flakes.
I prefer Golden Grahams smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I can be stubborn at times. That just proves how resilient I am. :tongue:

Sorry, but low blows aren't going to work on me.

Not bad for someone that 'took offence' to English lessons only two posts ago.

Back to the gist of the original post, you will note that it was all quite humourous until you decided to stick in your two bob's worth. Perhaps I should chomp off your cat's head as a punishment.

V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
I can see that you don't want to keep it mature and again argue semantics.. that's ok. Both of us are wasting our time bothering with this thread anymore anyways.

C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
/me now understands why the original post was closed...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I notice a trend here. Why is it that you never respond to any of the 'help' questions I ask or answer but you feel included to give smartarsed responses to any topical contributions I make? Why don't you review all your posts on this forum, going back to when it opened a few months ago and take a look for yourself. It will show that you are just following me around like a lost toddler. Why don't you get a job and make yourself useful to the world.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
codemaster: In reply to your original post, and to satisfy the question in your last, it was apparently closed for what seems to be a variety of reasons.

1. Those that come here the most have already had their say on the war issue, at least once.

2. Some posters were taking the issue personally. (Good or bad? In Krejt's eyes probably bad)

3. At least one person who replied didn't exactly do so in a gentlemanly way and another spend his sweet time misquoting people, therefore aggravating the situation further.

Lets face it. People on here come from all over the world. Talk or debate about pending war will therefore be okay to some (perhaps you, myself and many others), it might be affronting to others and lastly it might be a prime moment for some to just inflame what is already a sensitive issue.

It looked to me that everyone had their say so I feel comfortable with the fact that the thread was locked. To be honest i am surprised it was even allowed because I have seen more trivial off-topic threads deleted after the first post.

V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
Hm.. let's see..about 5 of my posts have been directed at you, and those in the last few days.

And why must you insist on keep trying to insult me? Telling me to get a job..? How the hell do you think I pay for food, car insurance, net connection..? WHEN did I ever insult you?

My replies were never meant to be smartass replies.. they simply pointed out the TRUTH. If you don't like that, and feel the need to throw insults at me.. then maybe it's just better if we totally ignore each other.

V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
Quote:
3. At least one person who replied didn't exactly do so in a gentlemanly way and another spend his sweet time misquoting people, therefore aggravating the situation further.

I never misquoted anyone, so get over it. I'm sorry there is no general "reply" button on this board.. so I had to choose a random post to click reply on.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hm.. let's see..about 5 of my posts have been directed at you, and those in the last few days.

My case in point.

V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
Hardly. You said review ALL of my posts, and that I am following you around.

When I do find time to read stuff on here.. and reply to a thread.. I always have it email me. So when there is replies, I can directly go and reply back if neccesary. It just happens that one of those threads was the War one.. and this being a continutation of it. These 2 threads are the only ones where I am responding to you... because I do not agree with what you were saying.. isn't that what happens on discussion forums? Why..yes.. I think it is smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sorry, I just did my own research and it started with this remark on 22/01/03.

PHP and CGI/Perl are arguably as easy to do the same things with... what is your point?

In a thread re: Browser switching in mIRC. The thread evolved into a debate on server-side scripting for web pages versus plain HTML pages. It wasn't a debate on what server-side function was better or equal. They probably all have their ups and downs, none of which I care to discuss. I raised ASP as an example because I have experience with it as my website is NT hosted.

To answer your query there, that was my point.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Just a suggestion, but this seems to be getting a tad personal between you two, so why don't you argue in private?

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
LOL so who's winning the debate now i lost count...well at least i know where i stand anyways...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You are quite right. However I have private chats turned off here and don't plan on turning it on. Since I spoke in this thread before VCV and since he raised the suggestion of us ignoring each other, in the spirit of the old addage that "The first man to speak gets the right of reply" he can start ignoring me at any time he likes. grin

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Agreed Poppy.

I rarely lock any thread, but i also cant see any benefit to this one continuing.

codemastr: i sincerely hope you dont feel i am "preventing communication and dialog" by closing this thread, but it has strayed far from a debate over the issue you raised.

TheGame: yes, you can come out of the corner now.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard