Print Thread
#99553 02/10/04 06:42 PM
G
gLiTcH_ Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
G
Hi everyone this is my first post. Although one of the earlier mIRC versions that states that no more commands can start with //$decode , this $decode indentifier is very dangerous. Current it is used in the format:

Code:
//write  .  $decode(DECODED MESSAGE) | .load -rs  .  | //mode $me +R

I keep getting more and more spam of this and since the $decode command isn't used for scripting all that much IMO, I believe there should be some option to disable the use of $decode. What do you think? Thanks for reading!

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I don't see a problem with adding an option to lock it, but personally I just think people should have the sense not to type whatever they're told.

New username: hixxy
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
It is the same thing like if somebody told you to execute some exe file. It's up to you if you will do that, it's not up to your OS.

velicha dusha moja Gospoda
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
If you are stupid enough to listen to someone on irc and type ANYTHING starting with / when you don't know what it does, you deserve everything you get!

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
It's not nessary but it wouldn't hurt since I've never seen a script that used it, other than ELITE ENCODE YOUR MESSAGE ON IRC BECAUSE PRIVATE CHANNELS ARE OVERRATED!11!!!ONE scripts.

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I liked the suggestion of someone (sorry, forgot who) that $decode should be disabled from editboxes by default. That should take care of the copy&paste problem while allowing the more advanced scripts (ones you apparently haven't seen yet) to continue making use of $decode. And yes, disabling or taking out $decode altogether would hurt those scripts.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
This was infact an issue dealt with awhile back also, and the general view was 'if we lock this, why not lock this, and this, and this', i.e. in your example you use, /write, then we should lock /write also since it can be used to override/erase an entire file.

My personal view is that people shouldnt be so narrow minded and do what others say, they wouldnt do it in real life, why do it online..

Eamonn.

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
The more options the better, IMHO this could be another catorgory in mIRC's options. Lock $decode, lock /write, lock on text, lock remotes, lock blah, lock blah blah blah.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Why not just stick a single lock on running commands from the command line? No doubt there'll still be thousands who'll immediately switch to happily pasting code they're given into the Script Editor instead, but you can't account for stupidity at that level. The last thing anyone wants is to have a massive page of checkboxes for each and every potentially harmful command.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
G
gLiTcH_ Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
G
Thanks! I know people should have some sense. But, the problem is they don't and it really bugs me. I knew from the start to avoid those but others don't, especially the newbies. I always try to assist them in removing that code, but the problem is, that $decode command does many things like join an some channel every 120 seconds, set people on ignore and sends spam. So if my friend got infected, I have difficulty chatting with him/her. Message says something like "Do you want to be an operator in #channel?" Type this: ----

Alot of people are getting fooled (of course not me) I even plan to make a small removal utility. It's the best I can do for everyone. Thanks again for the replies.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
There are plenty "utilities" to undo the most common $decode eventualities, but not all can be accounted for, because you have to actually see what they do before being able to remove them.

I'd enjoy seeing a single, "SELECTABLE, VIA DIALOG MENUS, ONLY" option to disable all command line functions, simply because its completely stupid to have a /command to enable/disable it.

Eamonn.

Link Copied to Clipboard