mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
envy Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
A friend of mine has a channel in MIRC named bomusic which I'm not sure is a paid and official channel or not. Because there are so many people joined in his channel lately, he's afraid that maybe his channel may be rename. I was just wondering if that is possible. Can a channel be renamed if it's full? If it is true, how can I stop that from happening. Is there a way to keep the original name of the channel? Please reply this ASAP. THanx a lot frown

Last edited by envy; 01/10/04 06:37 PM.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Some important points to note:

- mIRC has no channels. mIRC is an IRC client (one of many), it enables you to connect to an IRC network - there are many different IRC networks. #bomusic on Network A is not the same as #bomusic on Network B for example. There are also no 'official' channels of mIRC.

- Channels are, 99% of the time, completely free. It does not need to paid for. mIRC costs $20 to register, but that has nothing to do with channel registration.

- Not all networks support channel registration. Some do have channel services, but are also unique to separate networks. Ask in the network's #Help channel or check out the network's website for further information. Some more info can also be found in this thread.

Once a channel has people in it, it is impossible to change its name. You could always /join #anotherchannelname and then tell all the users of the original channel to go there, but you can't change the actual name of a channel, no.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
E
envy Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
Quote:
Once a channel has people in it, it is impossible to change its name

Does this mean if everyone leaves the channel, it is possible for the channel be renamed? When you said "one the channel has people in it", did you mean it literally?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Yep, I meant it literally. Once just ONE person (the creator/owner/founder) has joined a channel, it has been created on the IRC network/server. It cannot be renamed.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Under no circumstances can a channel be "renamed" (unless the server you use doesn't strictly follow the IRC protocol), when everyone leaves a channel, that channel is "deleted", unless it has been registered by some form of channel registration.

New username: hixxy
E
envy Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
thank you 2 so much smile

Link Copied to Clipboard