mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
Is there any tutorials for flash connecting to DCC Chat? And by flash i mean Macromedia Flash. I need to code a GUI for a MuD, And i was really hoping i could do it in Flash. The Flash Client would connect to DCC (id prefer IRC, Channel, then DCC, but directly DCC works), and send simple text back and forth, the user would input stuff just like as if he were in mIRC, but the client would give them images and whatnot.

So any idea? im completely flash nub but im more than willing to learn, i know its possible in mIRC but id prefer a standalone Flash Client that users could download then run.

Overall what it would need to do is very simple, just the fact that it would need to connect to DCC, and if needbe IRC and Channels.

So! Any links, related info, Tutorials, anythin would be great! I know this is a mIRC and not flash forum, but i figured id try to get the specific IRC info, thx!

Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
Wow, i got a ghost reply.
Quote:
Danthemandoo replied to your post at the site: .
https://forums.mirc.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=generaldiscussion&Number=104317

i think a browser mud would be much easier, i'm sure php could handle it because i highly doubt flash could do it

Anyway, in reply to Mr. Ghost, and anyone thinking the same thing. The reason is the MuD is over IRC. It works through DCC Chat, and its staying that way :tongue:.

The MuD is not going to be CODED in flash, the flash will just be a client to log into the MuD, allowing users to view images and whatnot, graphical map, ect. And aside from keeping track of a dynamic map, basically it will just be a glorified dcc window. It will have a few dif sections for dif types of messages incoming from the DCC Bot (coded in mIRC). And adding graphical buttons allowing the users to click certin repeating events instead of typing them in each time.

Either way i want to take something and add graphics to a client so users can view it and play that way. Iv seen mIRC games done in full color, looking somewhat like old nintendo games, but aside from the IRC funtions of it i figured Flash would be much better suited for such a thing. And look MUCH cleaner, and run much better. Theres just the hurdle of getting flash to preform in IRC and handle massive text messages incoming from the bot.

Any ideas? Or atleast something different that could do what im looking for? I do not want to make a php MuD, run from and completely on a website because its not what im looking for simply put. And iv been coding many IRC MuD and like it simple, fun, and unique lol (not really but w/e :tongue:). Any ideas? Thanks!

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
i meant i don't think flash can connect to DCC that way, it might be possible but from what i know, i highly doubt it.
I deleted the post cuz i felt it was a touch rude, but anyway.

I think the main issue with flash would be the connecting part becuase i think the flash would need to connect to irc to be able to send the privmsg with the clients IP to allow the server to connect to it.

I still recommend ditching the mirc coded mud and recoding it in php and mysql, but good luck with it anyway.

Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
iv thought about it but your talking based on websites alone right? As in you load a page and x info is displayed, you click a link if you want to fight with someone, blah blah. Right?

I personally would love to do it in php and mySql, good learning experience and whatnot, but aside from my complete lack of knowlage of even where to begin (litterally, i dont even know how to test a simple phpcode accessing databses and whatnot on my comp without loading it to a server), aside from that, i believe it would be boring. Slow paced, you know?

*edit*
And again, i would love to do it that way, but boring arises. Then theres hackers to consider, and a buncha problems that seem more troublesom than its worth.

Last edited by Zeusbwr; 01/10/04 06:53 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard