Print Thread
#99179 29/09/04 05:05 PM
K
KickOut Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
K
Why dont put a chat in mirc with audio and webcam? The client more used on irc is mirc... But the irc networks are loosing so many users every days because other chat as msn messenger and icq is more easy to have a conversation than irc... The people likes to have a chat clicking just in a only button and start the conversation...
I think the mirc on next versions must be more easy to use. Users who dont know how to use mirc (newbies and beginners...) have some difficult to start to use mirc and its a problem too.
Thanks...
smile

#99180 29/09/04 05:16 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
this has been requested before and if you would have searched you'd see that there are DLLs that support one or the other or both. I know you'e asking for native support, but that's a start

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#99181 30/09/04 04:13 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
that's good, all the MSN fan club noobs are leaving the networks to the people really wanting the chat mode in one window without being overwhelmed of emoticons and pictures of every person you talk with.

If you need all those things then switch to MSN like programs and you will be happy. I can chat with a single double-click on a nick in the channel window nicklist too and just say hi to start it off.

If you think mIRC is hard to use then there is plenty of help files and forums/channels (like this forum) to help you get started in the IRC world.

#99182 30/09/04 09:05 PM
K
KickOut Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
K
I think mirc hard for use, only for beginners...

#99183 30/09/04 10:45 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Anything new seems hard at first. Along with the help file, click on things to the left of the screen here, like Intro to mIRC etc. There is also the help file and many channels that exist to help with mIRC, IRC, and network specific questions. You can do a channel search by typing /list mIRC or in place of mIRC use new, or help.

Networks also have websites that give you step by step help with things like registering nicks, help channels, and policies.

Just give it a little time smile

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#99184 01/10/04 09:13 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
mIRC is by far the easiest client I've ever used.

As for what you said in your previous post about people using ICQ and/or MSN over mIRC because of their features, that's not entirely true. I'm regularly on the IrCQnet server and more people on there would rather use mIRC over ICQ/MSN. Perhaps it's different on servers where people don't seem to do anything other then share files, but it's not like that on any server I connect to.

Also, I've introduced a lot of people to mIRC and none of them have gone back to using any other client or IM application for chatting. They have also found it fairly easy to get a hang of once things are explained to them or once they have toyed around with it themselves.

#99185 01/10/04 10:40 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Who prefers what depends on their needs realistically. i.e.

IRC is the sort of place where you go, and join a channel full of strangers and meet people.

MSN (and ICQ to an extent), is a place where you go and add friends to your list, sure others might contact you via them, but rarely.

Eamonn.

#99186 02/10/04 07:31 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I don't agree with your assertions and I will make some attempt to explain why.

1. People generally don't leave IRC in order to use messengers to communicate. They leave IRC because they've had enough and simply want to do something else with their time, such as caring for their family.

2. In the past as people left IRC they were replaced by new chatters who 'got the word' that IRC existed. This doesn't happen at the same rate anymore because messengers are heavily marketed by their host companies. MSN comes with Windows and is thrown at your face after Windows finishes installing. IRC services are generally not promoted at all, aside from the networks running their official web pages. They rely on word of mouth as a means of scoring new users to keep their numbers up.

3. Companies, like Microsoft, have labelled IRC as a haven for criminals while promoting their messenger services, yet a messenger is just as likely as IRC to be populated with criminals, especially scam artists and paedophiles. Infact the unmoderated nature of messengers means that in years to come messenger services could end up being alot easier for criminals to use in their activities. Because of the way messengers are marketed to internet users, they will choose this over IRC simply because they become aware of the messenger service first.

General summary: I was once a supporter of video chat being put in mIRC. I thought at the time that it would be a good way of ensuring that mIRC remained the market leader in IRC software. I am of the opposite opinion these days and in saying that I think mIRC should remain devoted to raw IRC functionality only. And I do not believe that mIRC's market share would suffer as a result.

Link Copied to Clipboard